Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone was definitely watching over us!

Two days ago we notice soot on the wall above the thermostat in our kitchen. DH smells it, yep, he can smell smoke. So he shuts the thermostat off. Next thing we now the thermostats in the bathroom and Ben's room don't work. So yesterday FIL and an electrician buddy come by to check it out.... they pull out the thermostat and the wiring is BLACKENED to a crisp, the insides are melted, soot is covering everything and the wall frame is singed!!!! Our very own house fire waiting to happen! :eek:

Thank GOD they came by when they did. Apparently since we didn't shut the breaker off there was still a small electrical current flowing.... So they cut a hole in the wall and replaced all the wiring, did some other things I do not understand, replaced the thermostat... and apparently we are good as new now except for the hole part... but I can handle that!

When I saw the burnt and melted pieces.... I started to cry. That was so close!

Thank you GOD!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Holy crap - that's scary! I'm glad you guys were able to catch it when you did.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
WOW you guys were very lucky! Glad it turned out ok and the hole, it can be fixed good as new.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Glad everyone is safe...This is a perfect time to remind everyone to make sure your Smoke Dectators are working and that you have enough of them. We had a small electrical fire also several years back and it was the smoke dectator in the same room that warned us turned out to be in an outlet where we wouldn't have seen it for hours.

SO BE SAFE AND GO TEST YOURS AND IF YOU HAVEN'T REPLACED THE BATTERIES IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS DO IT THIS WEEKEND

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I'm glad that you're safe and the problem was fixed.
This sort of thing can happen so easily and illustrates why it is so important
to have working smoke detectors in your home because this could have just as
easily happened while the household was asleep.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So true about the smoke detectors!

Ours were actually working. Its just that it was such a low smolder at this point... but had it turned into an actual flame, those smoke detectors would have been our only hope!

I don't even want to think about what could have happened if we had not been home, with CoCo alone in the house! :(

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
So true about the smoke detectors!

Ours were actually working. Its just that it was such a low smolder at this point... but had it turned into an actual flame, those smoke detectors would have been our only hope!

I don't even want to think about what could have happened if we had not been home, with CoCo alone in the house! :(

This is why our home is monitored 24/7 for fire, carbon monoxide, and burglary, along with a seperate panic alarm. In case the smoke/fire alarm goes off, dispatch calls the premises, and if there is no answer, they dispatch fire immediately. Make me feel much safer leaving Angus home, as well as leaving the house when we are away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts