Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the Amish put it on. They finished it in 6 hours, that was a complete tear down and replaced some of the plywood. Wonder how good a job they did? My DH works around a lot of Amish and he wouldn't ever have them do any kind of building work for us. They have really become hacks. Too bad, the good ones don't deserve the bad rap. One house the framers were off 2 inches on one wall and almost 2.5 on another. Uh, if you can't do it right, don't do it. They got really ticked when they had to redo it. What's that all about, your error, you fix it.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We used to live next door to an Amish family that did beautiful work. Weird thing . . . they used power tools. They built furniture without the use of power tools, but when they did odd jobs they used power. When they built a deck on their house, they borrowed our power. Came over armed with extension cords, and asked if they could "use" our power. I let them, and they built me a beautiful rocking chair in payment . . . but I always thought it was weird.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
How big was the roof? .

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Since they are notorious for puppy mills I won't buy anything from them.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This house is not small by any means. It doesn't have all the peaks and valleys that the new houses have but I think it should take longer to do it right.

The puppy mill thing, yeah our neighbors bought their JRT from some Amish and it has more personality, behavior and health issues than I care to say. They are just a commodity to them to be bred and sold. It's all about $$$:mad:

Their houses have power but it's either gas generator power, or propane power. One of the guys my DH knows that still does good work has a cabinet business that he uses power tools for, all run of their wind generator. Ya know, just move into 2009 and use electricity like the rest of us. For having religious reasons for not doing that, they sure have a way of getting around it. They buy bob cats and drive those. They buy vans and hire drivers. WTF. It makes no sense at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts