Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And no it wasn't the neighbors Yorkie. It was someone else that lives in the neighborhood. We were on our walk and we were walking past this house that two ladies were standing out front of and she had her dog on the leash. Well this little dog was pulling her down the drive way trying so hard to get to Tater. Well I walked up so they could say "HELLO" to each other. Well this dog snapped at Tater and was growling at him. So I pulled Tater and back on we went down the street.

Well as I get to the end of the road by our house Tater had to pee so we stopped in a grassy area, then I hear this lady screaming KONA and I could hear a chain and dog collar and tags jiggling, I turn and there is the Yorkie coming at Tater and was showing teeth and everything. I ran into the middle of the road (with Tater still in my hands) to stop cars that are pulling into the neighborhood and making sure the dog didn't make its way out to the busy street. This dog comes up throws his front legs around Taters neck and starts growling and biting.

I do believe Tater doesn't know what to do with these little dogs. Only been around BIG DOGS. The lady is still running down the street for her dog. I got Traffic stopped trying to get this dog off of my dog he wrapped his front legs around my leg I kicked him off because if he would have bit me I would have kicked him like a soccer ball. I finally got him off of Tater and the lady got mad with me for kicking her dog off of me and Tater.

I am so ready to move out of this place. Tater is OK, no bite marks no bleeding. I don't think that Yorkie was playing. Very mean, and hear I thought they were nice. This is the second one to attack Tater. Tater never goes after other dogs on our walks. I always get the (what a great boy for not pulling after my dog) and their dog is going ape ****.

Anyways, we will not be going down that road anymore.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: So Tater and I were attacked by a rat (yorkie)

Well I wanted a smaller dog, but we went with the lab because we both had them as kids. Happy I didnt get a little one. Like that lady next door to us that has one she never puts a leash on. That dog has gotten picked up and tussed to their yard many of times. Poor Tater just sits and looks at them. I think he thinks its something he is not suppose to play with because it is so small. All of our friends and family have BIG DOGS like labs or rottis or bigger. So these little dogs I think scare him.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

:eek: I hope Tater and you are both OK. Duke is also scared of small dogs, he see's one coming while we are on a walk and he cowers and tries to hide behind me. I've never been a fan those little yappy dogs.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts

I think small dogs do not get the training they need because alot of their owners think theri behavior is "cute". For the most part, a few exceptions, the smaller dogs seem to want to take on the larger ones. Tal only likes one small dog and that is my neighbors JRT. Tal isn't afraid of the small dogs..I think he just prefers to play with ones his own size.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

rexduke said:
:eek: I hope Tater and you are both OK. Duke is also scared of small dogs, he see's one coming while we are on a walk and he cowers and tries to hide behind me. I've never been a fan those little yappy dogs.
I dont think he is scared of them. He sits beside me when one walks up to us. Who knows.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

Apollo likes small dogs, but NOT ones like that yorkie. He likes cats, ferrets, small dogs (specifically puppies) but I dunno how apollo would react if a dog like that came after him. Sorry that happened to tater.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

Rat? Geez, not too nice, Sam. There are a few people here that own a Yorkie.

Sorry it was so scary for Tater.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

MyLabsMom said:

I say that because they are so little.

I hope no one gets mad. I will change that.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

MyLabsMom said:

I would call anything that attacked my dog a rat- be it a yorkie or a great dane. I'm sure no one will be offended.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
gabbys mom said:
MyLabsMom said:

I would call anything that attacked my dog a rat- be it a yorkie or a great dane. I'm sure no one will be offended.
here here!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

gabbys mom said:
MyLabsMom said:

Yeah, okay.

Ya know, I thought it was harsh - that's why I commented. Period.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts

gabbys mom said:
MyLabsMom said:

Poppy our office rat is. :p

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Man, that sucks. I'm sorry that happened to you and Tater.

Sounds like Tater is like Sundance. He's so easygoing he didn't try to fight back when a cocker spaniel attacked him. He loves everyone and just doesn't have it in him to fight a dog a fraction of his size.

Good thing for the vicious little dogs out there that Labs are so sweet.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't know if I'd call it a rat, but I'd definitely call it a little sh*t. ;D

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Sorry about your bad experience.

I just have to say, however, *sticks flame suit on* that it is really not unusual for a dog like a terrier to act in an 'aggressive', confrontational way. I'm not saying it is acceptable but terrier personalities are polar opposite of retriever/working types. Granted, there is no way that the dog should have been loose, but if it wanted to really attack it would have.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Im glad you guys are okay! We had a GIANT black lab when I was growing up and this dog was HUGE! close to 100 pounds easy, and he was deathly afraid of small dogs... He would run with his tail between his legs if he even saw one... You know what they say " dogs are some of the best judges of character" I tend to agree with this theory.. I am not anti small dog or anything, I have known lots of friendly small dogs, but where a big dog usually doesnt realize how big they are, I think small dogs do realize how small they are and go into defense mode when they see a bigger dog or person and that makes them go crazy! They dont call them "ankle biters" for nothing :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
yep, they are little buggers. i had one run across the street, where it's owner had it outside in the front yard UNATTENDED, and bit into the backpack that I had on Chuy. Chuy just stood there calmly looking back at this little thing trying to pull at his backpack wondering what the heck was going on. I was proud of my boy's demeanor in the situation

Fortunately he had the backpack on, and a stern verbal reprimand got him to release, and we went on our way, or else he would have gotten dropped kicked back across the street.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts