Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if when Moka broke her leg and we took her to the emergency hospital-what if we couldn't have afforded to pay for the surgery (We're over $5000 at this point)? We had to pay almost $900 before we left her there the first night when the accident happened (no payment plans-we HAD to pay for them to keep her there and stabilize her) and we had to put a deposit down of $2900 the next day before they would do the surgery. They would not authorize the surgery until we made the payment.
What would have happened to her if we couldn't afford it? I have seen a post or two on here where someone's dog had hip dysplasia, but the owner couldn't afford the surgery. In this case, where it was an accident and severe trauma-what would have happened to Moka? Would they have not done the surgery? Would we have been required to sign her over to a rescue or the vet?
We were very lucky that we have been able to pay to have all this done and to take care of her, but what if we hadn't been able to?
We are getting pet insurance this week, for emergencies like this one.....It is something to think about...if this were to happen to your dog, would you have the money to take care of them? We never anticipated something like this happening.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
They would have had you try and apply for CareCredit. I have CareCredit and got it when Rookie needed $2600 in surgery. Fortunately, my vet and I are friends and they would have worked with me for a plan if I needed them...but this was an ortho case and the place didn't know me from Adam so I needed an option to pay for surgery...CareCredit was my only option. They would have you go home with the dog too if you couldn't pay. I've seen all sorts. Otherwise, you would have had to euthanize or surrender. We've had plenty of dogs come through our rescue that were the results of people not being able to pay.

·
Registered
456 Posts
you know i was on dog insurance for a while and felt that i wasn't getting my moneys worth... I figured apple's a very healthy girl and i always have my eyes on her.. i guess one always thinks it'll never happen to them.
Day before yesturday i had taken apple to emergency vet. Long story short they found socks in her tummy. They wanted me to leave her there to monitor and that alone would have been 1300 !! I said no thanks i'll monitor her myself and we'll take it from there. Seems like shes getting better and it starting to work its way the back door! BUT if it didn't then i'd be in big trouble. Surgery alone would have been another 2000 on top of that.
Sooo .. i guess insurance is a must. Either that or 100 a month to my emergency dog account. we'll see...
which insurance are you getting ?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They would have had you try and apply for CareCredit. I have CareCredit and got it when Rookie needed $2600 in surgery. Fortunately, my vet and I are friends and they would have worked with me for a plan if I needed them...but this was an ortho case and the place didn't know me from Adam so I needed an option to pay for surgery...CareCredit was my only option. They would have you go home with the dog too if you couldn't pay. I've seen all sorts. Otherwise, you would have had to euthanize or surrender. We've had plenty of dogs come through our rescue that were the results of people not being able to pay.
This was the same type of situation-it was not our regular vet, it was an ortho surgeon we had never met, an animal hospital we had never been to. We charged the first night on a credit card and used Care Credit for the rest also.......I was just wondering what would happen to the people who would not be approved for any type of credit, or have any credit cards and not be able to pay. I sort of thought the answer might be to put the dog down or surrender it.
That's so sad....makes me feel very fortunate that we were able to pay for Moka's care. I couldn't imagine putting her down or giving her up.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you know i was on dog insurance for a while and felt that i wasn't getting my moneys worth... I figured apple's a very healthy girl and i always have my eyes on her.. i guess one always thinks it'll never happen to them.
Day before yesturday i had taken apple to emergency vet. Long story short they found socks in her tummy. They wanted me to leave her there to monitor and that alone would have been 1300 !! I said no thanks i'll monitor her myself and we'll take it from there. Seems like shes getting better and it starting to work its way the back door! BUT if it didn't then i'd be in big trouble. Surgery alone would have been another 2000 on top of that.
Sooo .. i guess insurance is a must. Either that or 100 a month to my emergency dog account. we'll see...
which insurance are you getting ?
We are going to go with PetPlan insurance. It came highly recommended. It's about $20 a month for each girl, which I think is more than fair. It is not for routine visits, just for emergencies, surgery, illnesses, any genetic conditions, cancer, etc......the type of things you just can't plan for. This accident really taught us a lesson. To some it might seem like a waste of money, but if we had insurance before this it would only have cost us about $800-$900 instead of $5000. Even if we never need it again, it is a safety net.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
It really is something to think about. And you're right, it is so depressing to think that something might happen and you wouldn't be able to cover it.

I called about getting Angus insurance, but I did so too late - I called after his mast cell tumor diagnosis, and they won't take him now. We keep a little "nest egg" for emergencies, which I hope we will never need.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Surrender it to the vet who will then either put the dog down or give it to a rescue, if the rescue can pay for the surgery.
Depends on the vet. My vet has taken several surrendered dogs and asked us to help place them...never been charged for surgery fees, with the exception of Gage. He needed 3 surgeries for a shattered leg and we helped to fund raise for him after his owners let him walk around for a day with a shattered leg. :mad:

BTW, he's loving life with a great family in Northern Michigan.

It depends. People have to make really hard decisions these days.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Depends on the vet. My vet has taken several surrendered dogs and asked us to help place them...never been charged for surgery fees, with the exception of Gage. He needed 3 surgeries for a shattered leg and we helped to fund raise for him after his owners let him walk around for a day with a shattered leg. :mad:

BTW, he's loving life with a great family in Northern Michigan.

It depends. People have to make really hard decisions these days.
What I don't get is, if the vet is going to do the surgery after the dog is surrendered anyway, and not charge anybody, then why don't they do it and accept payments? That way the owner could keep the dog.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Well, I can't speak on behalf of any vets, but I think when push comes to shove they will do that...but there has to be some kind of deposit put down...which in many cases, most people can't even do. It's one thing to get some guarantee of payment....versus none. They aren't collection agencies and shouldn't havent to go through that though either. They can claim donation if it's given to a rescue though...so they aren't totally out.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
DH just met some woman who lost her dog to bloat. She knew what was happening and got her dog to the vet in time, but the vet's office they went to wouldn't do the surgery without a certain amount of money up front. Here is this woman hysterical in her pajamas at the vet trying to reach someone to come come with the cash (they wouldn't take credit card) and then...it was too late.

She got her dog there in time...and they let him die.

I'd be in jail right now for manslaughter if that happened to me. :mad: I can't even think about this anymore or I'll vomit.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
DH just met some woman who lost her dog to bloat. She knew what was happening and got her dog to the vet in time, but the vet's office they went to wouldn't do the surgery without a certain amount of money up front. Here is this woman hysterical in her pajamas at the vet trying to reach someone to come come with the cash (they wouldn't take credit card) and then...it was too late.

I'd be in jail right now for manslaughter if that happened to me. :mad: I can't even think about this anymore or I'll vomit.
I would be in the cell next to you.:mad:

My sister now has a dog that she is trying to find a home for. The owners brought him in for a surgery and they couldn't afford it so they told the vet to put him down. Well needless to say my sister who is the vet tech wasn't going to let that happen. He is doing awesome :) but needs a permanent home now.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It is hard to think about and it's very sad, but it is something that everyone here SHOULD think about. We never thought about it before it happened and we were lucky that we were able to pay for Moka's care. But, what if we weren't? I think everyone should have some kind of plan for something like this...just in case. I almost threw up when we were at the hospital....luckily, when they asked us what we wanted to do we were able to say "Do whatever you have to in order to fix her-we will pay." When it comes down to it, does everyone have a plan for it? Because it is a reality...and is something that we should ALL be prepared for. And I think there are many people who are unprepared for the situation we were in simply because they DON"T want to think about it. What happened to us was a freak accident, but it could happen to anyone....there was a puppy, about 6 months old at the same hospital being treated. He BROKE HIS BACK FALLING OFF THE COUCH. How many people here let their dogs and pups on the couch or on their really high beds?????? The surgeon and vet said the most common way they have seen dogs break their legs is jumping off something like a high bed or deck.
It could be any of us. We all need to think about it.
I am so thankful that I was not standing there with a screaming, broken puppy without any way to pay to take care of her. I can't imagine having to put her down because I didn't take the time to think ahead and plan for emergencies.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
We have a monthly puppy budget that covers their food, toys, etc and then we put extra away in case of emergency. We are fortunate that we would be able to cover emergency expenses for our dogs, but I know that not everyone is that fortunate. What other options are out there for dog owners?

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It's a scary thought for sure. Our dog is like a child to us....as they are to many people. Our Vet has known us for many years and I couldn't imagine that he would turn us away in the case that we couldn't pay the whole amount at once. Though I believe he has (or had) something posted to the contrary he might be willing to take payments if that was the only option. We've always managed the major expenses by using a credit card, but I do think about these things because work isn't as stable as it used to be. I couldn't imagine a vet letting an animal suffer because someone couldn't come up with the cash right that minute. Very sad!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.