Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You were good to us. And we'll miss you terribly.

I just canceled our Tivo service. :( I'm so sad.

Now we have an HD PVR through our cable company and it just isn't as great as Tivo.

And I also have a Tivo box we will no longer use and need to get rid of it. Any ideas on how to go about that?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I have one too i had to give up.. sitting in a closet in my office.. what's the deal with only using cableCARDs for their hd boxes? I would have upgraded to tivohd given the chance.. i hate my cableco's hdbox in comparison.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We have both! We have lifetime service on our Tivo so no charges there, and an HD DVR through DirecTV. The HD DVR is a lot more sophisticated with the exception that you can't copy stuff to DVD.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I was so sad to see my tivo go too, it's just not as good as the cable company's DVR, but we didn't want to pay for the phone service needed for the Tivo.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We've never had phone service with our Tivo...it has a wireless adapter via USB. The only time we ever needed phone service was for the initial setup (before we got the wireless adapter).

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
What makes Tivo better than the cable company's? I've never had Tivo, just the U-verse DVR and I think it's the most wonderful gadget in our house.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Melissa- Does your PVR offer Suggestions? Are you able to do a search by spelling out the title? Does it adjust the time recorded if the show runs late? Our new one doesn't. Just little things, but they make me happy. lol

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
No suggestions, I don't think. Yes to search. And no to running late - that does suck. But I can record 4 things at once!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, four things at once is better than the Tivo we had. You could only record two things, but you had to watch one of those channels. LOL.

Our new PVR does not allow searching by typing in the name. That was annoying. Boo hiss.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I should clarify - you can do four different things at once. So if you're away from the TV, you can record four things; if you're watching the TV you can record 3 and watch a 4th different thing. You can't record 4 things and watch a 5th thing.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's still better than the Tivo we had. And I'm not sure about our current pvr. We are still figuring the darn thing out! I think we can record two things and watch a third thing. But I'm not positive. lol

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I miss my TiVo, too. That bouncy-antenna guy was fun. And we used to mimic the sound effects: The Pi-POPP! when you selected something. The bass drum BUMMM when you made a mistake.

Our new DVR from Comcast seems to work as well. But it's not nearly as fun.

And it is missing the WISH LIST feature. Which I loved from TiVo. If, say, you wanted the box to search and record everything related to a certain star -- like, say, Regis Philbin or someone -- it would grab everything. Every movie. TV show. Talk show appearance. The works.

Loved that.....

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We have DVR service through our cable company. Uh...I don't know how to use it. This is my wife's department. I'm not a big TV viewer kind of guy. I know my wife records a couple of shows that come on after she's gone to bed and that's all it's used for.

When VCRs came out we never recorded from the TV.....ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts