Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've seen my photos in my other posts, you know we have a cute pair of litter mates about 6 months old. My wife seems to think if someone broke in on us, they would try to protect us. I'm not so sure....they might try to lick any invaders to death. And certainly their incessant flatulance would be a deterent....but beyond that, I don't see them as much of a threat. It just doesn't seem to me like labs have an agressive bone in their bodies.

Am I wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Well, judging by his reaction when a repair man came when Ken was on a business trip, Caleb would put on a real good show of "I'm going to eat you alive." However, once the intruder was in the house, tho, he'd be loved to death. We'd most likely come downstairs to see Caleb sitting on the intruder's lap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was going to crack a joke about pointing out the more valuable items and helping to carry them to the car. But in reality, Lucy does bark at strangers coming into the house and does take a disliking to some people. It would never go any further than barking, though. She's no guard dog.

I hope nothing like that ever happens - Mr. Burglar, you're welcome to my stuff, but please leave my dog alone!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Diesel will bark when someone comes to the door - pretty furiously actually. He is friendly once the person is in the house however. I don't think Blaise is going to even bark at people. He is Mahatma in a fur suit.

Even people with dogs considered protective cannot count on them behaving protectively when faced with danger. Lots of German Shepherds and Dobies duck for cover when faced with a situation. If you want a dog to protect you reliably they need to be trained to do that and you need the appropriate breed as well (ie - not a Lab).

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
The boys, since they are crated, would do nothing but bark. If they were not crated, I doubt that either one would do anything. They are cream puffs.

Shadow, on the other hand, showed that she was very protective of me when Bill was gone. The time the cops came to the house at 11:30 pm about the neighbor, she kept her distance from the cop even when he was in the house, and watched him like a hawk, like she was braced to attack. When the one spoke through the storm door, she growled (first time ever, teeth and all). I'm sure she would have defended me if I was attacked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies....pretty much in line with what I figured. The concern is more for my 4'10" wife when I travel. At a minimum I think they'd let her know if someone was trying to break in. And if Hans and Lady weren't a deterent at that point, perhaps Smith and Wesson would be. :D

If they warn us about a break in, that's likely all we need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You never know. My Lab does not bark at people when they come to the door or when new people come in the house. However, if she is in the backyard and we are not home she will bark like crazy if anyones comes to the gate. I have had occasions where I've asked someone to come feed her because I was going to be home late, and she will not let them in the gate. I suspect if someone tried to break in, in the middle of the night, she would sense that this is not right and at least make a LOT of noise.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
...If they warn us about a break in, that's likely all we need.
Exactly. In all honesty, all an intruder needs is to think the barking dog will attack him. Heck, when I was a kid, the TV repair man wouldn't go in our house because he heard our Toy Poodle barking. He saw our Norwegian Elkhounds in the kennel and thought we had another one inside. So, yeah, they just need to sound like they mean business- or look like it. Just about everyone who didn't know him was scared to death of the Siberian/GSD we had when we got married. That dog never uttered a sound, but he looked like a wolf.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Puff is like BigBrownDog's Diesel -- barking like mad at anyone at the door but friendly when they come in.

As an Early Warning Device, (similar to the way a smoke detector works) she's quite good.

BUT as far as providing a protective or defensive service, she'd be about as effective as the usual smoke detector is in putting out a fire.

As others have pointed out, Labs have neither the breeding or the training to be effective, reliable guard dogs.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Baloo loves loves LOVES visitors, so very doubtful he would do anything even remotely similar to "protecting". :rolleyes:

However, if one of the stray kitties that roams around our neighbourhood were to somehow break in, they'd be in trouble. The ONLY thing Baloo acts even remotely aggressively towards are those cats, even though we have two of our own that he loves. I think it's because my male cat gets very upset (hair stands on end and crazy vocalizations) when he sees the strays walking near our house, and I think he's got Baloo convinced that they are evil and should be destroyed. :(

Peanut would bark her fool head off if someone were to break in, and then once they were in she'd probably hide. *sigh*... such brave, noble beasts of mine. A kitty avenger and the cowardly minpin. :cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think our labs have a pretty good sense about them and would do their job in the moment of truth, at least raise hell and bark like mad.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
She would invite them in, show them around, and take off with them. Seriously, Phoebers NEVER barks when someone comes to the door...she's always excited to see anyone that comes through. She thinks they've come to take her somewhere fun.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
My wife seems to think if someone broke in on us, they would try to protect us.
Is your wife a comedian by any chance? :D Sorry but I nearly spat out my coffee when I read that! :D

All they're good for is being an excellent deterrent with their barking. My boy had a HUGE bark & most people who didn't know him were too scared to come to the door. He was great for scaring off Jehovas witnesses, sales people & other undesirables but the few that did have the guts to come to the door got greeted by a wagging tail & usually with a toy in his mouth.

If your wife wants an attack dog that will protect her, tell her to get a Chihuahua. I've had 2 that used to attack people when they came in. :)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I think our labs have a pretty good sense about them and would do their job in the moment of truth, at least raise hell and bark like mad.
I think Sammi fits this description to a tee! She is the sweetest most gentle dog 90% of the time. However, once we were out on a walk, a pretty open field, no where I have ever been concerned of, but we came up on a "transient" and I thought Sammi was going to go after him, barking her fool head off, I probably would of stopped her if she had to keep her from getting injured by him, but she stayed by my side. It was a bark I had never heard from her! She was protecting her mom and there is no other answer for it! The guy took off, she stayed with me- good girl Sammi!! I think if she knew there was danger, if nothing else her bark would do the job!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sandy has quite the loud bark and he also squares himself up, stands tall, errect tail, hard stare, and his hair sticks way up on end....he scares a lot of people away....they would rather not have to deal with an 85+lb lab. However, he is really friendly adn would most likely knock them down with his wagging tail and wiggling rear end once they approach him. We do have a beware of dog sign in our window but that is just for show....my husband says it will give anyone walking up our driveway something to think about. We live off the main road about 500ft in the woods so he likes to think the dogs will help to keep strangers away.

Sandy will protect me I think as I was role playing with another trainer...loud angry voice,etc and he actually got upset and did a body block. Bumped the trainer out of the way...barked and stood between us.

I worked with a black lab when I was a ranger and she protected all the park rangers even without special training....she was the head ranger's dog. Best dog to have on patrol with you as she did take down a few unruly people. She would also sleep in front of the main entrance to the cabin at night...keeping guard.

I think you just can never tell for sure what your lab might do in a stressful unpredictable situation....they would have your best interest at heart :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
When we were younger my brother jumped off a roof to scare me in the dead of night and my lab launched at him...only to drop when he figured out who he was. My next lab also went for someone when he thought I was in personal danger (I was!) but property??? They'd show them the valuables for a treat. If we're not home they're likely not to get off the bed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts