Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these safe from splintering??

I'm aware of not giving the boiled knuckles,marrows, etc... but how about the smoked ones they sell at the store?

thanks

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Nope I never give these. They can splinter. Any cooking causes bones to splinter. I tried once and turned my back for a second and one of my dogs devoured one!!! I was sooo worried. We ended up with a full day or two of diarrhea but thankfully no other problems.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The knuckle bones I give apollo never splinter. They say "natural" knuckle bones. And no where on the packaging do they say: cooked, smoked, or baked, therefore I do not believe they are cooked. Cooked bones splinter, but the ones I have never ever have splinter, which I really like.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Your safest bet is to avoid all pet store bones. Unless they are in a special freezer section of the store, chances are they are cooked or smoked. Raw is always better and nutritionally it is much more beneficial.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I have given the smoked and the natural knuckles to my kids, but only when I can grab them and the bone immediatly. Small and medium sized chunks can break off very easily and pose a choking hazard. I have never had one splinter though.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Do they sell raw knuckle bones at the grocery store?

Apollo LOVES knuckle bones. I've never ever had a problem with the ones we get from petsmart, and unlike the other bones in the store that I saw, it said no where on the label that it was cooked, roasted, baked, etc. But I can't be absolutely positive cuz no where on the label does it say "raw", it just says "natural", I took that to mean that its in its natural state (ie raw). While I haven't had any issues with apollo choking ever, I'd rather be safe then sorry. Anyone know if knows if you can find raw knuckle bones in the store, please let me know.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I think i will hold off and return it. Yep, it says "natural" and "smoked" but nowhere says raw and/or cooked,etc.

I've given the raw marrow bones that i've gotten at the albertson's meat department from the butcher, no sense in messing with what works. those put a big ole' smile on his face when he sees one of those.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Do they sell raw knuckle bones at the grocery store?
Not sure about knuckle bones, but many grocery stores sell marrow bones. They are usually labeled as 'soup bones'.

Apollo LOVES knuckle bones. I've never ever had a problem with the ones we get from petsmart, and unlike the other bones in the store that I saw, it said no where on the label that it was cooked, roasted, baked, etc. But I can't be absolutely positive cuz no where on the label does it say "raw", it just says "natural", I took that to mean that its in its natural state (ie raw). While I haven't had any issues with apollo choking ever, I'd rather be safe then sorry. Anyone know if knows if you can find raw knuckle bones in the store, please let me know.
I think the chances are if it is from PetSmart it is cooked or processed in some way. For a "real" bone you have to go to a butchers or meat supplier. Or, of course, a grocery store.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
okey dokey! Thanks, Trickster. I am glad we haven't had any problems so far with these knuckle bones. I don't get why a company would make bones and other products for dogs (such as rawhide) if they aren't safe for dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts