Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the video that I took it was after a few minutes and he's not near as bad as when I first noticed it but you can still tell how wobbly he was and he's so skittish which isn't like him.
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/bacatherine/?action=view&current=MVI_0184.flv

I was getting ready for work this morning and heard Smeagol scratching around in his crate which is unusual normally he curls up and sleeps after I feed him and let him out. I went to check on him and he was laying frog style under his blanket an had this weird look on his face. I opened the crate and he didn't move so I picked him up and got him out thinking he was just rapped in the blanket and stuck. I set him on the floor and he just wobbled and tried to walk but he kept falling over. It was so scary. I grabbed my camera to record it and yelled at DH to get up. I don't know how long it lasted but it was over 5 minutes. I recorded a few segments of it since my memory card was full and DH took it to the vet with him this morning. They wanted to run some blood tests so he's there today and we'll pick him up this evening. It was so scary I felt so bad for him he looked so confused and kept trying to walk but couldn't and when I would try to pet him he'd back away.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh no Barb, poor little Boo-ba. :( Hopefully it was just a one-time event. Tucker had one once, I think. My neighbors lab had one once a couple of years ago and never since.

Prayers....let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DH said he had a similar episode when he was a young puppy but I've never seen him do that before. He's 5 1/2 years old. I hope it was just a one time thing too I felt so bad for him. He's had a lot of health issued over the years but mostly it's been stomach issues.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i'm sorry, girl. zena has them like that...breaks my heart into. best thing to do is be calm and comfort them. her longest was about 7-8 minutes. i used to panic but now i just usher the other dogs out of the room and sit with her and sweet talk her and love on her until they pass. the vet said she did not need medicating unless she started having them more frequently. right now they are not that frequent. hugs!!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone I'm glad the vets kept him today actually so they can watch him vs. being home alone. They said they were going to do a bunch of tests to check his liver and other things one won't be back for 2 days though. We should be able to pick him up after work.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Maybe someone has already said this, and I don't know much about seizures in birds, but this doens't sound exactly like a seizure to me. Hopefully the vet you take him too 'knows" birds, cuz I would imagine that birds could get some conditions that aren't common in other animals. Maybe some other neurological kind of thing? Hope he is better today.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Aw, man. That just stinks. =( It is really, really hard to watch them go through that, isn't it?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Maybe someone has already said this, and I don't know much about seizures in birds, but this doens't sound exactly like a seizure to me. Hopefully the vet you take him too 'knows" birds, cuz I would imagine that birds could get some conditions that aren't common in other animals. Maybe some other neurological kind of thing? Hope he is better today.

Pat, you are thinking of Dee's bird. This is her little dog.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dh picked smeagol up from the vet after work last night. I wish I had so I could talk to them but he had the check book to pay them. From what I got from him they ran a bunch of tests there and they all turned out normal. They sent out a test to check for liver shunts which won't be back until tomorrow I think and they will call us with those results. They gave us pheno for him but I don't really think he needs to be on it yet since that was the first one. We'll keep an eye on him and give him the pheno until we get the test back and I can talk to the vet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts