Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 workmen at the house right now installing granite countertops. The supervisor and the sales guy also showed up to check in on everything. While all 4 were there, DH (who kindly took day off and is working from home) went to Subway and bought them all sandwiches. This means that he left 4 complete strangers alone in our house with access to practically everything we own, including my jewelry. Rogie is at day camp. Would you be annoyed/upset???? I am trying not to blow up or be a b*tch, but I have had a very bad day and don't want to overreact.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Surely those guys are bonded. They wouldn't risk theft. You know, most workers like that are just workers. They want to get the job done, earn their pay, and get home to their own families.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paddysmom said:
Surely those guys are bonded. They wouldn't risk theft. You know, most workers like that are just workers. They want to get the job done, earn their pay, and get home to their own families.
Yeah, I'm sure you are right.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Eh, I'm sure it's just the bad day that is making you feel that way. Everything will be fine.

When I was having the bathroom gutted/redone last summer, there was no way I could have taken off work and stayed home with repairmen that whole time! I checked references, called the BBB, and then let them in each morning, made them a pot of coffee and went to work.

G

·
Paddysmom said:
I agree - can't imagine the supervisor would let anyone roam around the house.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
YEah, I agree..... but maybe just slip it in somewhere, sometime.... as being a MAN..... he probably didn't even think. ::) It could come up again someday down the road.... and you might not be as lucky.. kwim??

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I know it feels kind of weird to leave a bunch of strangers alone in your house, but they probably work alone in homes all the time. I always try to remember that they most likely wouldn't risk their job by doing something bad.

G

·
DH was thinking there wouldn't be any harm in grabbing the dudes food as there is a good chance they wouldn't even notice he was gone and continue working. Stealing in situations like this isn't very bright because it's fairly simple to trace it back.

Most people leave their keys in the mailbox and go to work for my parents.... which means they could copy them and come back spme other time, but I mean come on. They're not that stupid.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I would have been uncomfortable with it, but since your hubby was the one observing them, I think he was in the position to make a judgment about whether it would be okay. :)

G

·
My DH works in people's houses all the time while they are at work and often when they are gone on vaca or at their other homes. He has keys and alarm codes for several houses - big houses with lots of expensive stuff!

If you hire a reputable contractor this is rarely an issue. Having 4 guys there are once IMO makes it less of an issue as they are less likely to do something dishonest in a group.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts