Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Nikon D60 for my birthday. For the most part I love it, but the zoom is just not high enough for most of the pictures I want to take. It came with a 55 mm lens.
I want to buy a higher one, maybe find one used. Where should I start? Ebay, local camera shops, amazon?
Also what size would you recommend. I don't need any professional super high zoom, but I would like a decent one and I don't want to get one and regret that i didn't get a higher one.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Are you planning on using a tripod? If not, I wouldn't consider anything but a VR lens. I have a 70-300mm lens without IS it is hard to make the shots not come out blurry. I would consider something more like an 18-105 or 18-200. Tamron even makes an 18-270mm that is a nice small size (my 70-300 is ginormous).

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I am not planning on using a tripod. Sorry, I am very new to this, what is a VR lens?
The one I found, above, is 55-200, is that a good one?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
VR--image stabilization. I think Nikon uses VR, while Canon uses IS. The 55-200 you posted doesn't have the image stabilization, hence the cheap price.

Do you zoom in and out a lot? That's why I suggested something like an 18-200. That way you have the most zoom and don't have to worry about changing lenses for up close shots. Big zooms are also big bulky lenses. Not something you'd want to carry around all day.

Look for a lens by Sigma or one by Tamron for a cheaper price. I mostly buy my lenses new but I might consider one on Craigslist that I could inspect in person before I buy. Amazon has that 18-270mm by Tamron for under $600...I so want that lens.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Check around at your local camera shops. The one I use, which is a chain here in Ontario, rates their used lenses. So someone goes over them to make sure they work. And there is a guarantee.

I have a Nikon 55mm-200mm f4-5.6 VR. It's great for outdoor shots. But not great in low lighting situation. I need something with a bit more speed and a better zoom.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Nope, you don't have to buy a Nikon lens! There are several other lens makers out there. The lenses are usually just as good and a lot cheaper.

Make sure it says for Nikon, though. Usually they make separate versions of the same lens for Canon and Nikon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts