Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny this came to mind today. My dad made us turn the doorknob when we closed it so that it wouldn't make a sound.

In my old age, I've come to rebel and now I just shut the door w/o turning the doorknob.

What do you do?

mindless poll. oh lah.. heck it's Sunday.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I think I just close the door...although once and awhile I do turn the handle too. I also do slam doors on occasion, although not as much as when I was a teenager! ;D

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
typically i just close the door, but if somebody is asleep near it (the door) then I'll close it with the handle turned so it doesn't "click"

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Depends upon the door in question.

One I have to kick at the bottom while shoving it at the top to get a seal (one of the Wooserie Room doors). The other Woo door just won't cooperate for closure.
One I have to push firmly to get a latch (bathroom).
One I can close with an easy pull and *click* on its own, or turn the knob for silence. (bedroom door)
One I have to slam or the wind will blow it open. (kitchen door)
One I have to lightly let itself latch, then test it to ensure it is secure. (front door)

Haha! Who knew there was so much door technology in my little house! :D

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I have to go with Nance, depends on the door in question, but usually I just shut the door.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

Depends, as Nance said, some doors need to be slammed shut, most of the time I'll just let the door shut itself, and if I'm being sneaky, then I shut the door with the knob and try to be quiet (Doesn't always work)

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
My mother, many, many, many years ago instructed me to turn the handle at night so as not to disturb my dad. Now it is automatic. I have never thought about it either!

It drives me nuts when family members use my bathroom at night while SU is asleep and just push the door closed! It is so loud!!! But he, who says he is a light sleeper, never hears it.......................

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
If I don't want to be seen or heard, I turn the doorknob. This happens often. Otherwise, I just close the door.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Paddysmom said:
Depends upon the door in question.

One I have to kick at the bottom while shoving it at the top to get a seal (one of the Wooserie Room doors). The other Woo door just won't cooperate for closure.
One I have to push firmly to get a latch (bathroom).
One I can close with an easy pull and *click* on its own, or turn the knob for silence. (bedroom door)
One I have to slam or the wind will blow it open. (kitchen door)
One I have to lightly let itself latch, then test it to ensure it is secure. (front door)

Haha! Who knew there was so much door technology in my little house! :D

I live in an old house also (built 1900) each door has it's own personality. ;D

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
If I don't want to be seen or heard, I turn the doorknob. This happens often. Otherwise, I just close the door.
That's what I do also. At work, since my office is on the second floor (and has an entrance from outside) I often 'sneak in and out" by turning the doorknob, so that no one knows whether I am there or not!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
theoconbrio said:
I always turn the handle to avoid the "click." I am sooooo considerate.
why I am not surprised? :p
love ya Nathan

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
The only door in the house that is opened or closed is the front door. If someone is in the house I will gently close it.
Other outside doors are ranchsliders.
Door inside the house all have Ernie proof gates on them it is too much work to move them and close doors.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'm a slammer, born-n-bred. I can remember the sound of the screen door at my parent's house. The door was on the side of the house and opened into the kitchen. As kids, in the summertime, we were in and out that door 293 times per day. The screen had a very distinctive sound to it:

Koosh---koosh---koosh: ka-WHAM!

I'd give anything to hear that screen door one more time.....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Funny Linda! ;D

I slam the front door, because sometimes it doesn't close all the way. The other doors in my house are all the "old fashioned" type of wooden doors with wrought iron latch thingies. You know...you have to press the thumb down and the latch comes up. Not possible to slam them b/c they'll just bounce right back and hit you in the face.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
SORE SORE subject in my house!! I am the ONLY one that knows how to shut a door ...everyone else SLAMS IT!! :mad: :mad: If I say it once a day I say it a thousand times STOP SLAMMING THE DOOR!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts