Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what I feel like I'm living through right now. Since February I have had the possibility of being laid off dangled over my head. It receded for a while and seemed like things were looking up. Today in a meeting I was told that the layoff was looking "likely," but "we won't know anything for sure" for "a while."

How likely is "likely"? "Things are extremely grim."

How long is "a while"? "I don't know."

OK, you know that I just raised $50,000 in external grants for my office for this year, does that help? "I'm trying to see if we can keep you on for a year so you can wind things down." (I have a lot of contracts and MOUs with external organizations, so eliminating my office makes things legally complicated.)

ARE YOU [email protected]#$ING KIDDING ME?

Now here's the question: How desperate am I going to be to stay at this job so I can basically dismantle my own ship plank by plank?

Forgive me for being a tad crabby.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Oh, Nathan. I'm so sorry.

It reminds me of being let go from the Insurance Company I worked for in the 1990s (my favorite job ever). The honchos came to the Comms department to fashion messaging that certain depts were going to be let go as the firm prepared to demutualize.

We wrote scripts, compiled presentations, set up career consultants etc.

And then the gun we helped load was pointed at our very department and the trigger pulled.

I remember saying to the HR person as she started on the spiel: "This is a time for some difficult decisions within the Biggy Insurance Company family, a time during which..."

And I interrupted her: "You can skip the rest. I wrote it..."

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
How desperate am I going to be to stay at this job so I can basically dismantle my own ship plank by plank?
Beautiful turn of phrase, but I have to say it twisted my stomach for you. :(

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I remember saying to the HR person as she started on the spiel: "This is a time for some difficult decisions within the Biggy Insurance Company family, a time during which..."

Good for you!!:)

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Nathan - agree it sucks - but I'd not let the joy of letting that ship sink without you overtake the necessity of a pay check for a bit longer...interview like mad, jump ship as soon as you can - and be glad then...but hold on for the almighty dollar as long as you can! SORRY!

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
does being laid off give you anything? ie, month(s) worth of salary, benefits, gift certificate to chili's, t-shirt?

if your job is likely to be terminated, could you just take it easy and cash your salary checks til the end? job market is tough these days, but at least you can start looking for something else in preparation, right? better than being unexpectedly unemployeed, right? better than having your sister move in with you, asking for money to pay off credit card debts, using your car, eating your food, and watching your cable tv? wait that's happening to me. sorry, i lost my train of thought. what were you saying? something about boats, i think.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does being laid off give you anything? ie, month(s) worth of salary, benefits, gift certificate to chili's, t-shirt?
You mistake me for someone who works in the for-profit sector. Maybe a month of cash. But, in the words of our inimitable administrators, "I don't know."

if your job is likely to be terminated, could you just take it easy and cash your salary checks til the end? job market is tough these days, but at least you can start looking for something else in preparation, right? better than being unexpectedly unemployeed, right? better than having your sister move in with you, asking for money to pay off credit card debts, using your car, eating your food, and watching your cable tv? wait that's happening to me. sorry, i lost my train of thought. what were you saying? something about boats, i think.
Dunno. I really am not good at taking it easy, workwise.

And I think you need a new sister. I'd offer you mine, but I'm going to need her food and cable TV (luckily for her, I don't have credit card debt) if SU kicks me out of the house.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts

Oh the irony of that is just poetry, MWG. I'm glad you had the nerve to actually say it. WELL DONE!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree with BoatDog
Nathan - agree it sucks - but I'd not let the joy of letting that ship sink without you overtake the necessity of a pay check for a bit longer...interview like mad, jump ship as soon as you can - and be glad then...but hold on for the almighty dollar as long as you can! SORRY!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts