Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we've finally made the transition....after 2 attempts at sleeping in our bedroom at about 5 months, (which lasted all of 10 minutes, and back to the crate! :) ) Chuy is finally now sleeping in our bedroom all night on the floor or his bed, for the past 2 weeks.(he just turned 6 months) I've really noticed an improvement in his overall demeanor and behavior as a result (the Monks of New Skeet recommend having them sleep in your bedroom for behavior issues)

It's been really dramatic and a nice change of pace...maybe it's a coincidence.

have others noticed changes for better or worse as they've made this transition from the crate??

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
We've moved Dakota from the kitchen, now that we've had a wood floor installed in our bedroom..taken down the kitchen gate..and at night both dogs go into our master bathroom, Dakota has a bed in there, Kelly lies on the rugs. We really didn't have much of a problem in the kitchen at night..except for the counter surfing as he got taller...now I don't have to worry about that. We'd like to let them in the bedroom..but Kelly's nails sometimes click on the floor and it wakes us up..so they may stay in the bathroom..we'll see. Our vet keeps trimming her nails back for us..they've gotten very thick from age I guess. They're a little better now..Dakota also had his trimmed again.
Jackie

DFWLab said:
Well we've finally made the transition....after 2 attempts at sleeping in our bedroom at about 5 months, (which lasted all of 10 minutes, and back to the crate! :) ) Chuy is finally now sleeping in our bedroom all night on the floor or his bed, for the past 2 weeks.(he just turned 6 months) I've really noticed an improvement in his overall demeanor and behavior as a result (the Monks of New Skeet recommend having them sleep in your bedroom for behavior issues)

It's been really dramatic and a nice change of pace...maybe it's a coincidence.

have others noticed changes for better or worse as they've made this transition from the crate??

·
Registered
22 Posts
When Jackson was about 6 months old, we let him sleep out of his crate in our bedroom. Sometimes he sleeps on the floor, sometimes he's on the bed. It's been great as right away he was quieter through the night and obviously loved sleeping with us rather than in his crate. I probably gained 1 to 2 hours sleep a night as right away he was more content and will go back to sleep very quickly if he wakes up and I pretend to be sleeping. But the one or two times in the last 7 months that he's had to go out at night - he's very clearly let us know.

He has never damaged anything in our bedroom and at about 9 months old, we started leaving him in our bedroom when we are at work rather than crating him. We make sure he has safe toys as well as nylabones for chewing & so far it has worked well. He's still a long way from being allowed free roam of the house while we are gone - but he's gone 5 months of being left alone in the bedroom with no damage.

So far as an improvement in behaviour - I can't remember. I know he was much happier and content to be sleeping with us than in his crate.
Karen

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Krys said:
When Jackson was about 6 months old, we let him sleep out of his crate in our bedroom. Sometimes he sleeps on the floor, sometimes he's on the bed. It's been great as right away he was quieter through the night and obviously loved sleeping with us rather than in his crate. I probably gained 1 to 2 hours sleep a night as right away he was more content and will go back to sleep very quickly if he wakes up and I pretend to be sleeping. But the one or two times in the last 7 months that he's had to go out at night - he's very clearly let us know.
yep, this has been a very nice side effect. He's much more content to sleep in alittle bit longer now. We also invite him up on the bed in the mornings, which he get alittle excited and wants to chew on blankets sometimes. ::)

·
Registered
738 Posts
We let Lola sleep on the bed when she got spayed, about 6 months. It was easier to have her on the bed so we could make sure she didn't bother her stiches. She's been in the bed ever since. When she started, we kept her on her leash, mostly so she wouldn't chase the cats (she loved to do that when she was young.) Now that she's almost 2, the cat novelty has worn off, and no more leash. One result of her having been on the leash for so long in bed, she rarely leaves the bed all night. Basically she's on the bed from bedtime until the alarm goes off, she only gets off if she has a bathroom emergency.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Bailey's a bit older, but we started to let her sleep in our bedroom around 10-11 months old (she's 1 year old now). I love it as well, I hated having her in her crate during the day (while at work, except for lunch hour) and then at night again too.
We still have a night every now & then when she just won't settle down & she goes in her crate, but they have been few & far betweeen. I've also noticed that she sleeps in more on the weekends now that she's sleeping in the room with us; which I love!!! :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah Ty is free at night as well. He'll usually stay on his bed (thats half eaten). Sometimes early in the morning he'll decide to "surpise" us with a visit up on the bed. But it works out great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts