Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, since we have had Diesel (about 8 months) Lucy (9 YO shepherd) has dropped 5 lbs. Not much - but that is 10% of her body weight and she has always been very, very lean. They just both run around so much! She has also been much less gimpy - so she has regained some of the muscle she lost when she had Lyme last fall.

All in all - that is good for her. But I would like her back to 56 lbs. She is on the verge of having ribs and backbone visible.

Any good tricks for putting weight on a very picky dog? I know that is the opposite of the usual Lab diet problem.....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yep, add cheese to her food. Shredded mozz or cheddar. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Add 1/4 can of canned food to her meals. That did it for Angus (and we weren't trying to gain weight!) I used Neura Meats. It's even available at our Petco, and pretty decent quality.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I'd go with canned foods. Of course you can send her to me. I can gain 5 lbs driving past a pizzaria. She can drive around with me.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzgrlduff said:
Yep, add cheese to her food. Shredded mozz or cheddar. :)
She'll eat around it... very picky.

AngusFangus said:
Add 1/4 can of canned food to her meals. That did it for Angus (and we weren't trying to gain weight!) I used Neura Meats. It's even available at our Petco, and pretty decent quality.
Already do this too. I may just start adding more canned to her food. She usually only eats half of what is put out for her and then walks away. She was a grazer before we got the Lab and now we cannot leave her food out all day as Diesel will eat hers too.

labs4life said:
I'd go with canned foods. Of course you can send her to me. I can gain 5 lbs driving past a pizzaria. She can drive around with me.
The only non-meat food she will eat is pizza crust! LOL!!!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Anne, thanks for posting that. I think I'm going to put that recipe in the next club newsletter :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anne said:
When I worked in Lab rescue, we would mix up a big ol' batch of Satin Balls to supplement those who came in way too skinny. I haven't met a dog yet who wouldn't eat them. :)

http://theherbs.info/Pets/satinball.html

Good luck!
Oh this is an excellent idea! I bet she will put those 5# back on with this.

Thanks! I will update in a couple weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts