Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the size of your dog solely determined by genetics or is some of it attributable to their diet?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I suppose that chronic poor nutrition could result in shorter stature. Certainly in humans we've seen a rise in average height in developing countries (most dramatically, Japan), which you could interpret as people reaching their genetic potential in a more optimal nutritional environment. But I'm not aware of research on this in dogs. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I have been told that raw fed dogs grow slower (so that doesn't necessarily effect the 'size' of the dog -- size is, I would think, mostly genetic) than kibble fed dogs but I don't know if there is any merit in that. I have only ever had one raw fed puppy so really I wouldn't know -- he is a very similar size to his parents. Not that size matters unless you want to show.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ask wondering if I had a dog from two parents who are 60 lbs could I get a dog that is 90 lbs?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
deific said:
I ask wondering if I had a dog from two parents who are 60 lbs could I get a dog that is 90 lbs?
The chances of that are very slim.

Just look at it as two parents that are five feet producing a child that is seven feet tall. Sure, it could happen, but not likely.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When identical twins have been raised in seperate environments there can be differences in height, nothing more than an inch or so but it does demonstrate that lifestyle and diet influence height to a small extent. The influence is mostly genetic though.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I would think that is almost exclusively genetic. I was surprised when the vet said he felt Tal would make 90 - 100 lbs. His father is 75 lbs and mother is 65 lbs. When looking at his pedigree one of his grandparents was 90 lbs if I remember correctly.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deific said:
Feed him enough pizza and pancakes and he will be 90 pounds~ (JK - don't do that!)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Is the size of your dog solely determined by genetics or is some of it attributable to their diet?
Solely?

Almost nothing but DNA is determined solely by genetics. Genetics provides the plans for the building and the sequences of construction (so to speak). The environment, the nutrition and diet, the illnesses, etc., provide the construction materials and half of the laborers. Give a diet that has HALF the desired kcalories through the first year and you'll end up with a stunted dog. Give an adequate diet nutritionally and the dog will reach its genetic size potential.

I must disagree slightly with those who would say the parents' size will predict accurately the final size of the pup.

That is VERY true providing that both parent come from the same stable breed line (i.e., a line which breeds true for size and other characteristics generation after generation) OR from two different breed lines which are similar in size/weight characteristics.

But if, say, each parent is from a BYB (back yard breeder) they could both be of the same size but each carry a variable assortment of genes for size. Some of the pups could grow to be huge while others would mature at smaller than average sizes -- providing all were fed normal nutritional diets adjusted to each puppy's weight.

A breed line means that the variability of many characteristics (including weight/size) is very diminished, much restricted.

Human case in point: a female friend of mine comes from staunch Catholic parents who are both slim, in their 60s; the mother is about 5' 4" and weighs maybe 105 lbs. The father is about 5'8" and weighs maybe 145 lbs. They have 4 children, 1 boy and 3 girls.

Their male child is 6'1" and weighs about 190 lbs; none of their 3 female children are above 5' 3" in height and none weigh less than 160 lbs and one weighs 190. (The girls look like they have a "Michellin Man" in their heritage but I am absolutely sure they did not.) Both mother and father were born into Catholic families with 13 or more children and within each of their sibling groups there was a great deal of variation in size, body proportion, and height.

There are also some other factors that can affect size other than DNA.

As just one example among many:

My Puff comes from a stable breed (field) line that consistently produces Labs of the same size and weight generation after generation. Her parents were roughly 80-90 lbs (F:M) in weight, and are trim, muscular, field line Labs. But Puff was the runt of her litter. All of Puff's 7 other littermates weighed 12 lbs. at 9 weeks age while Puff -- the runt -- weighed 6 lbs.

If Puff had NOT been spayed but was bred, her DNA is programmed to produce a Lab in the 80-90 lb.(F:M) range rather than her 62 lbs.

So -- it depends on the the purity of the breed line from which the parents come among other factors.

The more pure (consistent) the breed line then the more the parents' size will predict the size of the offspring.

BUT when the breed lines are not pure and consistent, there can be a LOT of variation in size and weight.

AND IF/whenever there are other factors involved, parent sizes will not be a reliably accurate predictor.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I was looking for. If M and F are 60 lbs but the history isn't all the same then there is a chance to have a different sized dog. Thank you.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree....our litter (the one Maggie was born in)..all the pups seem to be around the 55lb mark right now...but my sisters is a large one...she is hovering just around the 70lbs mark. They are just at 8months right now. All the others - male and female - carry their parents smaller builds - lean faces. My sisters I swear resembles a pittie LOL!!! Just a tank of a dog! LOL! They love her to death but she is just HUGE...
Great great grandpa was a large one at 90lbs (so I guess thats what they have to look forward to)...personally I'm proud of my little Mags and like her the way she is (and she was the largest of the pups when we picked her out...go figure).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts