Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a ten year old rotti mix. She is a good dog...not too old but has really bad arthritis. the dog has good days and bad days. On bad days, she can't get up and will lay around whimpering. On good days she is playful and loving but still limps. I have never had an old dog (bad luck I guess) so when she asked my advice for ending her dogs life I really didn't know what to say.

Is arthritis a good enough reason to end their life? I do wonder if the dog would be better if she lost weight, she has been fat her whole life. Anyway, I think she may put her down soon. :frown:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Good question. I think it comes to that with larger dogs because when they can't get up to go to the bathroom or eat. It is hard for a person to carry a large dog out to potty. It is so sad.
I don't know the right answer but I know if my dog is in pain and has no quality of life I would have to make that dreaded decision. :(

I hope your sisters dog can get some relief. Is the dog on any meds for arthritis?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Medication can be very helpful for arthritis. She should be on something. It is trial and error to find the right drug and the right dosage.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could do more...I almost offered to take the dog. She has totally different ideas than me and it has been hard not to say anything. Her dog's have been fed table scraps all their lives and so this led to weight issues. Anyway, my sister called me and was asking advice on when she should put her down. I just listened because I haven't had any experience with an older dog. Gordy is seven but he still is as active as he was young, which doesn't say much because he likes to lay around until you bring out a bowl or ball. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Please give her our advice. I bet taking weight off of her will do wonders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.