Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Is that even possible? Kids are amazing.
Yes they are, my "Barney" post was not all tongue in cheek, I think a lot of times folks do just as much to kill it at home by letting the TV be the babysitter.

I know we learned to be creative when I was little, in the era of 3 TV stations and one TV at home. And most of us even survived some of our less brilliant ideas. But at least they were ideas.:D

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I actually sat there for 20 minutes listening to that guy - he is a great speaker. I value education alot, but am saddened to see things like music and art be the first things cut when a school is in financial trouble( and it seems like they all are). Heck - they don't even have recess anymore half the time! And are kids "smarter", or better in school? Reading better? better at math or science? Doesn't seem like it. I really am not a very creative person, and I didn't do as well in those subjects in school, but I still learned a lot from those classes. I always thought that in addition to readin, writin and rithmatic, a general knowledge of the world / learning was important too. And I truely see what he meant about a college education not really meaning much anymore because almost everyone is expected to get one. It takes a Masters degree or doctorate to get a job in many areas now. And I don't see those people having much more knowledge about their subject as they did with a BS. Physical therapy now requires a doctorate to practice (if not required, it will be soon), and every "entry level doctorate" that I see barely knows how to function in an actual clinic. The more education they have, the less they seem to know in a practical sense. So something is wrong. Some areas DO take practical knowledge AND creativity.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I never did well in music or art in Elementry schoot, but when I got to Jr. High and we had real shop classes things changed and got even better in HS when we had more stuff to use.

I get up-set at times because simpley not everyone is cut out to be college material, but there is not a lot of prep for them when they are sent out into the real world.

I fill in in the area of the store that sells work clothes some. Some of these kids fresh out of school don't have the slightest idea of how to dress proper to work outside in winter or even sometimes when it comes to work boots, what the heck they even need for indoor work, most are more interested in what looks "styling" till that fails them.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
If you want to preserve creativity, let them play outside without adult supervision and tell them to come home when the street lights come on. Nothing creative ever came from "play dates" and adult supervision.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you want to preserve creativity, let them play outside without adult supervision and tell them to come home when the street lights come on. Nothing creative ever came from "play dates" and adult supervision.
It goes deeper than that. Kids need exposure to the arts as part of their education. Many parents cannot afford private music, art or dance lessons. If these vital programs are not part of their public education, some children will have no experience exposure to them which is very sad. Growing up, we had a seperate art room, with an actual art teacher, same with music. It sickens me to hear of schools axing art programs. Aren't our children supposed to have it better, with more advantages that we had? Isn't that what we work so hard towards? Shouldn't their education be even more enriched than our own was? More tax dollars need to go into or most precious resource. Educating our children. There are many successful people who were not at the top of their class in the core subjects, but are brilliant musicians, artists, performers, dancers... etc. There is more than one type of smart, and we need to validate genius or brilliance in other areas, because it does exist, and should be nurtured.

And I agree 100% about getting them outside for unstructured, creative play.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
To those younger than me, you have to give the kids a chance to imagine, a chance to create. Simple example.

2+ year old granddaughter has a children's kitchen at home. It was a hit for a couple of weeks. Grandma's office got a new refrig a couple months ago. Grandma arranged for me to pick up the box and bring it home. That box has become the most amazing things. It has been decorated and redecorated. Its a garage, an office, an airplane a kitchen, and even a naptime bedroom. We have gotten phone calls from DS and DDIL asking if Granddaughter could come over and play in the box. (We resist those requests, NOT!) Anyway, another box was located last week. It now sits in the middle of th eliving room at their house, and (Shhh! The purchased kitchen is hiding in it.)

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
LOL because when Lexie turned 2, Grandpa made her Mom and Grandma a bit mad. How, well he brought her a box home from work, the kind they ship jeans in. Guess what got played with the most?:D

I did it to show them all that fancy stuff that somebody that is supposed to be an "expert" on kids think they should have. Some folks were never kids.:D

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
One night when Grandma and Mom were busy and I was watching Lexie, and said no TV, find something to do with out it, she wanted the lights in the living room turned off and a flashlight.

The flash kinda a ruined it, but here is here and Rowdy exploring a cave.:D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Yes, and if you don't believe me I'll send you some of my arts & crafts stuff from elementary school.
okay.. lawyers are creative.. just in different ways.

*wink wink nudge nudge*

that sounded dirty.. i meant it more.. underhandedly..

but not you, nick..you're not that lawyer

i'm going to stop now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts