Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips to get good pictures of a black lab?
Her coat is so shiny that the sun and flash leave reflections.
She always has these white patches where it reflects off.
If I leave the flash off then she is a black "mass".-LOL
How do you get good pics of your black lab?
Thanks ;D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Your little fuzz ball certainly is a "black hole". The best way to photograph a black Lab is in natural light late in the afternoon. Those "reflections" you referred to are highlights and are really essential in defining your dogs features. Use a flash only if you can adjust it so it fires indirectly or you will certainly get the red eye effect or bluegreen in the case of Labs.
I have seen many excellent photos of black Labs in this forum so study those photos carefully.
Another tip is to shoot at a level at or below your dogs head. For your pup this means lying on your stomach which will usually get your camera a good licking. ;D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Natual lighting helps. Try to go into the shade, not in the blazing sun. Indoor pics work best, but you can get good outdoor pics as well if you get a good angle and watch the light. Sorry I can't be of more help. The biggest thing is just practice.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'd say lots of natural light, no flash, and a really good camera. But I would (and probably will, when I get Baloo home) Private message KLM, I've seen some awesome pics she's (he's?) taken of her (his?) black lab (Jake)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I agree -- natural lighting, away from the sun, no flash. Morning or evening is probably the best time to photograph a black dog. However, I really think the key is having a great camera. I could take great pictures of my black boys with my old Samsung A7 -- until it went missing. ::) My only camera now is my terrible Canon Powershot and the quality of the images is awful no matter how I prepare the shot.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I get my best pictures of Molly outdoors or if we're inside there has to be natural lighting :D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My photos of Jake have improved dramatically since joining this forum and participating in the Photography Section. I had the same problem with the flash. I also had a lot of blurry photos, too! I learned to use the manual settings on my camera and that made all the difference in the world!! What kind of camera are you using? Do you have manual (M) mode on your camera?

PS. Thanks Baloo's mom! ;)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I also find the best pictures are outside with natural lighting (early morning or late afternoon/evening).
All my pics of Bailey when she was a pup inside the house make her look like a little black fur ball. :)
I'm getting better & need to learn more about my camera as well!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Where is Sunjin when you need her? I try to do most of mine outdoors - the natural light seems to do better. On occasion, I will get a good indoor photo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts