Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont know how many of you have ever blown into an empty beer bottle before but it makes a low droning sound when you do.

Technique is as follows:

Hold empty bottle in hand and place edge of opening just under your bottom lip so the bottle is still standing upright as if it were still standing on a table. Blow softly. You should hear a deep droning noise, if not you aren't doing it correctly.

Anyway -- this noise makes Milly go N-U-T-S. If you chase her and blow into bottle she butt tucks around the house like a crazy puppy barking her head off and wagging her butt furiously. What fun! It's a riot to watch......

I wonder if there is a pitch that us humans cannot detect that sets them off... I say them because this is also the case for 3 friends dogs that I got them try it with and all 3 friends have different breed and size dogs.

My question is ......... have you done this around your lab and gotten a reaction? If you haven't and you or a family member drink beer out of glass bottles on a regular occurance try it and tell us the result!

Oh - it also works with empty wine bottles and it may even work with empty soft drink bottles (all must be glass) but haven't tried those yet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ah, maybe this explains why my dogs both seem to have a thing for beer. It's not the beer at all, they just want someone to blow in the bottle!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL Garth - Dave figured it out on the weekend. We were talking about the VB ad (best beer ad of all time IMO) and we were talking about all the sounds etc and he got a beer bottle and did some of the sounds and when he did that one Milly got SO excited... so then we spent some time playing with her with it. Hilarious stuff!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
We do this with the cardboard tubes from wrapping paper too (the toot toot toots)...Talk about funny, and of course we have to terrorize them..:D

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
When our kids played in the band...Sadie HATED the sounds from the trombone and trumpet. To this day if you make those sounds either with the paper towel tube or just with your mouth ...SHE FREAKS..runs like a wild thing through the house!! :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've done the beer bottle thing with Jeb. It used to drive him nuts. It doesn't seem to bother him now (he's 2).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts