Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just has so much that I don't NEED right now... and costs a lot. I've been living in it for 2 years and the rent keeps going up and it's just breeding a lot of inner turmoil and resentment.

But the problem is, I don't have a clear plan of how long I want to stay here and work at my current job. I'm torn because part of me really wants to get the hell outta here and part of me wants to stay in this relatively secure position.

I really don't need a 1 bedroom apartment all to myself but I don't want to go through the stress and expense of moving unless it's worth it. And it's hard to find a "it's worth it" scenario when you don't really know what you want. At least in my current apartment I can go month to month and have the flexibility of leaving if I so desire. I don't want to sign a year lease and then be stuck. But I also don't want to move into a sublet situation that in a couple of months will force me to sign a year lease and then move.

Uggg... I know I'm just complaining and ranting in here... I just really hate how much my apartment is costing me at the moment.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
The market is right for buying. Might as well build a little equity while you're thinking about what you want to do.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... DC is an option... and I'm looking into jobs there as well (though man if I think cost of living is high now, I don't know how I'd do DC)... but I don't know if that's going to happen or if I should stay here (finish paying off personal debt) and go back to school and wait for things to get better.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Signing a lease at least secures that your rent won't go up for a year. Also, in some cases, it's isn't that hard to break a lease. For us, you pay one month's rent to break it. Some places offer leases less than a year, but rent will be more.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Signing a lease at least secures that your rent won't go up for a year. Also, in some cases, it's isn't that hard to break a lease. For us, you pay one month's rent to break it. Some places offer leases less than a year, but rent will be more.
Oh my rent is going up because it's been a year since I signed the last lease.

Current Rent: $600
April 1 I have a choice... sign a year lease and only pay $625 per month, or go month to month and pay $650.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
or go month to month and pay $650.
I would go that route if you're not sure what you want right now, it's only an additional $25. But man! Your rent is cheap out there!!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would go that route if you're not sure what you want right now, it's only an additional $25. But man! Your rent is cheap out there!!
For the location... that price is pretty reasonable.

What bothers me though is how much more money I could be saving if I lived with someone else. The equivalent space/location/etc. of a 2 bedroom apartment would be more like $350 per month. Nearly half. UGGGG.

But then there is another person to have to depend on and trust... uggg.

Hence the ping-ponging in my head.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
$650 for a one-bedroom is SWEET! Personally, it would be worth it to me to not have to deal with a room mate. But I understand what you are saying. Splitting utilities in half would help a lot too.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Our last apartment before we bought was $1750/month for a 535 square foot studio and they counted the balcony in the square footage.

Not trying to start anything, but it shows you how the idea of who's "rich" really varies from region to region.

To me it would be worth twice that to not have to live with another person. Once you're past 25, roommates should be avoided at all costs.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
is there a friend or family member who would let you move in for a short time, maybe charging a small rental fee?

ever consider renting a room out of someone's home? my sister did this for a year in atlanta. the rent was very reasonable, and the room was really nice, especially since it had it's own outside access along with kitchen and bathroom.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
is there a friend or family member who would let you move in for a short time, maybe charging a small rental fee?

ever consider renting a room out of someone's home? my sister did this for a year in atlanta. the rent was very reasonable, and the room was really nice, especially since it had it's own outside access along with kitchen and bathroom.
I would love love love to do that and that's one thing I'm pursuing that is giving me some hope.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts