Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new purse. I can't make decisions. It's pathetic really.

My husband told me I could get a Coach. :eek: I would never in a million years give myself permission to buy one. But the purse I've carried for the last 2 years I got for something like $15 on clearance at JCP, plus I've had a lot of stress the last few years and he said I deserve it.

You can't completely change my cheap ways though - I went shopping in the clearance section of the Coach outlet! :p But I didn't find anything that I couldn't live without and they were still $120 so I had a hard time doing it. Then on top of that, in the sermon at church the following Sunday the preacher talked about how we need to be financially responsible with what we've been blessed with. So, I'm no longer seeing a $100 purse in my future. (not that buying a Coach makes you financially irresponsible, but when you're already having a hard time doing it, it just makes it worse to hear that message.)

SO.... let me see your purse. Then I'll just copy off of you guys!

Or someone link me to a good one. That'll work too.

I told you I was pathetic!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Honestly? Don't get a Coach.. they have gone down in quality significantly recently.

Cole Haan is still VERY good quality and has some very classic styles.

Before I start linking... what size purse do you like? Black? Brown? Seasonal? All occasion?

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Purse?... as in singular? ;) You wouldn't want to see mine today...it's one of my Coachs. :-X (To be fair, They last FOREVER and I didn't buy them all at once.) I also like Dooney & Bourke & Betsey Johnson. ;D I have a cool Cole Haan tote that I got for a song in Freeport Maine at their outlet there. Good quality.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I use the novacheck Burberry Rutland Backpack...
I know they're expensive, it was a gift, but i love it. Holds up really well and is easy to carry and holds a LOT!

My sister is into Vera Bradley bags...she loves them. Theyre very affordable.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I suck at posting pictures, but I've got a Dooney & Burke. It's large, leather and cost a fortune but I've had it four years and it still looks brand new. I think I'll come out ahead in the long run because I used to buy two cheap ones a year.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I like the Nine West bags at Macy's. If there is a sale, they are usually a good price, plus you usually get some little extras like a lipstick case, phone case, etc. in it. I really like the Coach bags, but I'm like you and just can't give myself permission to spend that much on myself.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Golfgirlrobin said:
I suck at posting pictures, but I've got a Dooney & Burke. It's large, leather and cost a fortune but I've had it four years and it still looks brand new. I think I'll come out ahead in the long run because I used to buy two cheap ones a year.
That's what Jason told me - to average out the cost over how long I'll have it and to not worry. But if I do that for the one I'm using right now, it only comes out to about $7 a year!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I do like purses. SU has been getting me either a Coach or Dooney & Bourke for Christmas for several years. I have had good luck with my purses, they do last.
Every now & then I will buy a Vera Bradley, I love some of the colors & styles.
My DIL has some cute Liz Clairborne purses.

Good luck! :) I

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I too have a leather coach (tote). While it was pricey, I've had it for over 5 years and it still looks great!!

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lindsay - there tends to be a lot of stuff that I think I can't live without on a daily basis, so I need to have a fairly large bag. I usually always have black so I've been thinking of something different. I've been wanting a red one.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Melissa said:
Golfgirlrobin said:
That's what Jason told me - to average out the cost over how long I'll have it and to not worry. But if I do that for the one I'm using right now, it only comes out to about $7 a year!
I say, if it isn't going to put you into debt (as in, you can pay cash) and it's from your "mad money", go for it! You are certainly worth a good purse if it is within your financial means. :)

G

·
I would so go for a Dooney and Burke. I have had mine for four years now and still looks new. I love that purse so much.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Melissa said:
Lindsay - there tends to be a lot of stuff that I think I can't live without on a daily basis, so I need to have a fairly large bag. I usually always have black so I've been thinking of something different. I've been wanting a red one.
A deep burgundy wine or "oxblood" is a nice neutral that goes with everything but is still a punch of color.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I think Coach stuff is great! They make big huge totes that I looooove. :D

The bag I carried all winter is a huge black leather Coach.

Right now I'm carrying a light brown leather Dooney & Bourke. I like my Coach MUCH better than the D&B, but a big and black purse doesn't really hold for my summery image. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-HTF-Green-C...ryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is a green version of my black Coach tote. I want this bag something awful.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Get leather.. no use spending $300 on a purse that isn't good quality leather. (That is my beef with Coach these days... they are all canvas pretty much and still $300... WTF?)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i'm a huge dooney girl and have many of them at home but the one i'm carrying around is the medium sized barrel purse in purple. i also have pink, celery green, blue, green, tan, black, and the briefcase in blue.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts