Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apollo is doing just fine learning all his commands: sit, stay, heel, to my left, to my right, find the ferrets, leave it, down, etc He's not afraid of other dogs or people. But I hear everyone talking about how their dogs are in or went to obedience classes and it makes me wonder if apollo should go to, even though he's learning from me just fine. I don't wanna spend money on something we don't need.

If you guys think that obedience classes would be a good idea, then could you please tell me where to take them (petsmart?) and how much they generally run in your area. Thank you

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I think obedience classes are always a good idea. Prices can vary tremendously, but around here are about $10.00 per hour. The obedience club I belong to has 7 one hour classes for $45.00, 23.50 for club members and 1 set of classes free if your dog is adopted from a shelter (pet and competition classes). Another place I take classes is $80.00 for eight 1 1/2 hour classes (kinda long for my tastes, pet classes). Another place we do classes is $65.00 for 6 one hour classes (pet oriented). I also take semi-private classes that are $40.00 for 4 classes, (competition classes).

Not only will Apollo get lots of exposure to different things (and likely be nice and tired at teh end of the day), but if you have a good knowledgable trainer they can help you with whatever issues you are having outside of class. I personally would not do Petsmart classes, as the level of expertise in the trainers can be questionable. But, I have access to a lot of options in my area.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Giuli- Here's where I did mine in Saint Louis, www.kennelwood.com

the humane society also has a bunch set up through a local training club- they just never worked with my schedule.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Yes to obedience classes!

Angus knew most commands by the time he started puppy classes, but you really can't duplicate a training environment with lots of distractions at home. :) It is also great for socialization.

We got hooked, and he has been going non-stop since he was four months old. :p He'll be three in August. But even just going for a few classes would be beneficial. We have gained something, even if it was just one little helpful tip, from every class we've taken. It's always good to get another perspective on things, and a good trainer can be a wellspring of tips and information.

Classes around here run about $90-$100 for eight weeks. We did Petsmart for puppy classes, but then I discovered our local training club. The difference was WORLDS apart. Our club's classes are taught by volunteers who earn free classes and club time by teaching. I have begun assisting classes over the past year. The instructors are people who have been training for years and many of them have multiple titles on dogs. Lots of experience and knowledge. And the great thing about our club is, with so many heads in the mix, we have learned something new and different with every class we've taken. There are only so many levels, but between both dogs I have taken Level 3 about six times, and never had the same instructor twice. So, it's like a new class each time. :)

If you can find a training club, I think that's definitely the way to go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts