Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a chocolate lab to add to my family and was set on getting a puppy from a breeder but am considering adopting a rescue dog. As I would love to rescue a dog in need, my concern is that if I get a dog that is a year or two old, it will never see me as it's master and we will never have that bond or give me that loyalty that you would from raising a newborn puppy. Also, I fear that I will be taking a risk of this dog having some bad habits that I can't break. Any advice, input, experiences or suggestions would be appreciated. I need a dog I can trust. I do a lot of outdoor activities a want a dog I can eventually trust off the leash. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I adopted a 3 year old Yellow male years ago. He adapted well to his environment and was a very loyal and obedient fellow.

Ginny

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Adopting any kind or type of dog is always a good 'thing' to do, but keep in mind, most of those dogs come with some luggage. So, some things could be dificult to have such dog ;)

But .. If you go for it .. You endup with the most thankful dog you've ever seen or had ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
All 3 of my Labs are rescues, and they came to me at ages 2, 4 and 7. The oldest took 2 wks to settle in, the younger ones adapted in 2 minutes. No baggage. No bad habits. No potty training. No chewing. I am a huge supporter of recycling love. Nothing is as adorable as a pup, but adopting and older dog saves a discarded life and those sweet eyes - no matter how old they are - will melt your heart. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I adopted Happy from a severely abusive past. He was between 2 and 3 years of age and there has never been any doubt who his master is.

Like stated above, adopting is a wonderful thing to do and I commend you for considering this path. Many dogs from a rescue can have some baggage that you will have to work through, but it is WELL worth the work. Happy is my best friend, and worth every penny/time/hassle/problem that I ever had to spend/work through!!

Just do your homework and you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Never say never, but I don't think I'll buy a puppy from a breeder again. There are so many labs in rescues, it's so sad. And if you look hard enough, you can certainly find a puppy. That's where I'll be getting my future dogs. Good for you for considering it.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
it will never see me as it's master and we will never have that bond or give me that loyalty that you would from raising a newborn puppy.
I have three rescued dogs and can confidently advise you to throw that idea right out the window.

You may rescue a great dog with quirks and "baggage" which you are not familiar with, but you just get familiar with it! You do your best to improve the undesirable aspects and adjust to those which you cannot change.

And then just love that dog, love that dog, love that dog! :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
May I actually suggest that you consider adopting a lab, regardless of its color? Supposedly black labs are the most difficult to find a home and they are as gorgeous and adorable as any other color.

In general most labs are so friendly that they bond really quick with people. Same holds for Goldens. In that sense you shouldn´t have any problem.

I recommended a friend adopting a retired breeding girl from a breeder and both dog and friend are the happiest ever.

Also consider that adopting an adult will let you verify if hips, eyes and elbows are OK, which you can´t if you get a pup

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Both my boys are rescues. Actually, Champ is a failed foster. ;) He and Buddy got along so well, and he fit with us so well, that we just couldn't give him up. He was two years old when we got him; Buddy was about 6 months when we got him. You will never regret rescuing!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have rescued MANY dogs; I used to do lab rescue back several years ago. The dog in my house now (I currently have 3 labs; my ex took 3 of the rescues with him)...the one who is always by my side; loves me the BEST is the yellow boy I rescued first. I can't tell you what a bond we have. And rescues somehow KNOW that you have rescued them. Please do consider it...PLEASE!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I think that settles that debate. Haha. It is going to be couple weeks before we are all ready to bring the new guy home but I will post a msg when we do so. Thanks again! =0

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you ever get the chance to get a dog or to rescue one....ALWAYS go with rescue! :)

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
You never know what you're getting. You can get a pure bred lab who grows up with "attitude" like my Judy, but you will love him/her, attitude, baggage, or whatever.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I assume by your response, you are going the rescue route? If so, good for you.

That said, here really isn't a "right" and "wrong" between getting a puppy from a reputable breeder and rescuing an adult dog - there are people on here who have done both, for differing reasons.

I'll admit that in general I favor rescue, and I volunteer for one here. My female lab is a rescue, and she's every bit as loyal as my male (who came from a breeder at 7.5 weeks old), and she's also better behaved! In my dogs' case, I can definitely say that any differences in trainability and temperament are strictly down to personality, not pedigree. One of my close friends has a lab from the same rescue that she adopted when he was about a year or so old, and they are about as closely bonded as any human-dog family I have seen.

Good luck in any case.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bo wasn't exactly a "rescue" but was 11 months when we got him. He'd belonged to a National Guard member who was called up. The breeder took him back and we adopted him. Of course, he was beautifully trained (for field work). Bo is just as loyal and bonded as any dog could be. When we got him, it was after a very BAD experience with a puppy we got from a breeder. The great thing about an adult is you can already tell what the temperament is and as said above, if the hips, elbows, etc are good. Of course if the dog's been badly treated or ignored there will be that baggage, too. But loyalty and bonding will be no problem

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
If you ever get the chance to get a dog or to rescue one....ALWAYS go with rescue! :)
After rescuing my Lexi 4 years ago, I doubt I will ever actually purchase a dog. As everyone has said, yeah there could be issues, but you can work through them. Labs are amazingly resiliant dogs.

I got Lexi at a year old, she was fully house-broken & slept through the night her first night with me. That was after a 2 day ride to PA from Lake Charles, LA.

You said you were in Dallas, TX so you might want to consider Southeast Texas Lab Rescue in the Houston, area. One of the gals with this rescue actually posts here on JL.

http://www.txlabrescue.org/

They have a couple chocolates on their available dog list.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts