Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall were SOOOO helpful when I posted about needing a good chef's knife ($30 Victorinox is awesome!) so I thought I'd post here asking for advice on buying a skillet.

I have sauce pans and very small frying pans... I NEED a skillet... right now I'm usually having to resort to using sauce pans for that kind of thing.

So... any suggestions? (I want cast iron right?)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Yes - cast iron is so much more versatile than regular skillets.

(waiting for Glen to chime in here)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Just wanted to say that I thought Skillet would be a cool dog name.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I will tell you if you have $147.77 and want a set try this one. It is out of stock on line but you may find it is your local Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5716478

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated magazine(America's Test Kitchen on PBS) and they rated All Clad cookware this month. Of course the brand name ended up on top at $699 for 10 pieces. But Walmarts brand called Tramotina was #2 and rated the same in design and performance. Only in size was it marked down 1 star and that was because the pans were smaller. They rated it their #1 best buy.

I remember this off the top of my head. I will go find the magazine and find out what they said about individual skillets.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Go with a Lodge brand, still made in the US and they now come preseasoned.

If you get one and have any questions on care and use hollor.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Amazon.com has a 12" pre-seasoned Lodge Logic cast iron skillet for $18.97 and a 10 1/4" for $16.99. Can't beat that!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Amazon.com has a 12" pre-seasoned Lodge Logic cast iron skillet for $18.97 and a 10 1/4" for $16.99. Can't beat that!
Good prices on them, that's about what we get for them.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
i have some of just about eveything that has been posted so far. i have several iron skillets, but do not use them for every day cooking. too heavy and too much care. i a set of stainless similar to what azlab posted that clean up beautifully when i spray them with pam and clean with bar keepers secret. i can also put them in the dishwasher. i also have something similar to what eric posted...not calphalon, but the one that starts with an "A". I also have a few cheaper Wearevers that are non-stick. Those are my fav's for scrambled eggs.
It really all depends on what you are cooking as to which skillet to use.
For me, cornbred and fajiitas in the iron skillet.
scrambled eggs in the non-stick
everything else in the others.
have fun shopping.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I have All Clad :) My Mom is a very good gift-giver of kitchen things!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Cast iron is wonderful IF you are prepared to care for it. Otherwise, I recommend the one that Eric posted above.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Another to look at is enameled cast iron. I have several pieces of Le Creuset. Love it! All the advantages of cast iron without the fussiness.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Another to look at is enameled cast iron. I have several pieces of Le Creuset. Love it! All the advantages of cast iron without the fussiness.
This is what I'm saving up for - a couple good pieces!! I think I'll love it.

Winners sometimes has them, but I'm not sure I trust Winners/Home Sense enough to buy some from there.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I need a good all around 3-4 qt skillet with lid, too. It's hard because I don't want regular cast iron, won't do non-stick anything, and don't want to spend a fortune, either.

I've been eyeing something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

But I don't know if that's exactly the size I want. I wish enameled cast iron was a bit cheaper. I have a 6 qt enameled cast iron pot w/lid that I got at Sam's Club for $40 and I LOVE it.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
This is what I'm saving up for - a couple good pieces!! I think I'll love it.

Winners sometimes has them, but I'm not sure I trust Winners/Home Sense enough to buy some from there.
Go ahead and buy from Winners/Home Sense. That will have no bearing on the warranty. It's expensive stuff, so if you can get a good deal, go for it!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I need a good all around 3-4 qt skillet with lid, too. It's hard because I don't want regular cast iron, won't do non-stick anything, and don't want to spend a fortune, either.
I was the same way, ended up with All Clad because I know I won't care for regular cast iron properly. I'd love a Le Creuset like this :)

http://www.lecreuset.com/en-us/Prod...t-Iron/Skillets--Grills/Oval-Skillet-15-3-qt/

But for about 1/3 the price.

Just want to add that the very best pans I have ever bought are Pampered Chef executive line. NOTHING BURNS, NOTHING STICKS!
Is it non-stick?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts