Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lost my black lab he was a super dog eveybody always commented on how shiny he was I have noticed not all blacks are that way my brother has a black lab and his coat is very dull and not shiny at all just wondering I still have a yellow and when I lose her I want another shiny black

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Well actually, a proper Lab coat is a bit dull looking. A shiny coat usually indicates a single coat, which is not correct. ;)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Not sure I agree with that. Remington has a very thick/double coat and he is very shiny. His outer coat is very "hard" to the touch as well, very bristly and when he swims all he needs to do is shake off and he's dry. He has the type of coat that water just doesn't seem to soak. I think the oils in it make it waterproof and shiny too.

Magnum has a single coat, and yes she does look shiny, but often I think Remington's coat is much more shiny that Magnums.

Ruger is yellow and has a double coat, but his outer coat is not "hard" and when he gets wet, he's soaked and a pain in the butt to get dry.

I like Remington's coat best, and think it is the most "proper" of my labs.

This is from the Labrador Retriever Club Breed Standard

Coat
The coat is a distinctive feature of the Labrador Retriever. It should be short, straight and very dense, giving a fairly hard feeling to the hand. The Labrador should have a soft, weather-resistant undercoat that provides protection from water, cold and all types of ground cover A slight wave down the back is permissible. Woolly coats, soft silky coats, and sparse slick coats are not typical of the breed, and should be severely penalized.
Remington is pictured on the left, Magnum on the right. Rem's coat is much shinier and has a hard look to it compared to Mags. I can see the softness in her coat.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I just lost my black lab he was a super dog eveybody always commented on how shiny he was I have noticed not all blacks are that way my brother has a black lab and his coat is very dull and not shiny at all just wondering I still have a yellow and when I lose her I want another shiny black
Welcome to the board. You will find that we like punctuation here. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Sorry you lost your Lab. Ernie has a thick coat and shiny. If he is off colour it tends to be what I call dull. Other people think it is shiny. When I adopted him his coat was very coarse and dull. More a charcoal colour than black. It wasn't because he was blowing his coat. When he blows his coat is gets brownish tinge around his hind quarters.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Lots of shiny black dogs in rescues and shelters. Just sayin. ;)

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost your special black lab. When you get your next black lab, don't expect him/her to be the same as your lost love, but you will be thrilled with your new special lab.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts