Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe what just happened. Allie submitted to me for the first time EVER!!

When I went to walk by her, she rolled on her back and exposed her belly to me; she has never, ever done this. She has never offered me her tummy.

Maybe she wanted a belly rub, but I'm optimistic. I have really stepped up the training this week in preparation of Ranger's arrival, maybe she's seeing me more in the leader position instead of the frantic, frustrated, exasperated...you get the point ;)

Giving Aysa, the older dog, more and the last attention as well as, and playing with her more and last is probably helping too. When Alllie came home, she was spoiled with lots of toys and attention. She was pretty much running the house.

So, I've started feeding Aysa first, allowing her to finish and then giving Alllie her food.

And, lastly, I've had more discipline myself in staying consistent with basics, like making Allie sit for attention and before I give presenting her food bowl. I'm not repeating commands over and over. If she doesn't comply, I ignore her. I'm not allowing her have 15 toys at once I took all the "dead" toys away and separated the remainder into those she plays with alone and those we play with together.

Everyone in the house, DH and my two College Boys have commented on her better behavior.

Oh, thanks to the forum, I've been teaching the "leave it" command. Wow! What a useful tool!! It works on everything from chasing the cat, to scramming when I'm petting Aysa or when she's getting her nose too close to something she shouldn't.

I'm hesitant however to take the next step and see it the command works when I want to play fetch with Aysa and Allie's around. I'm a big chicken where that is concerned.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Don't you just love it when it works! I find it hard to be the alpha with both dogs; one at a time I do pretty well but when both are in the mix I just don fair as well. You are doing great and it must feel good. Keep up the postive thoughts I swear they can smell defeat!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts