Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as an addition to our ghetto condo saga, after petitioning the complex manager, making multiple phone calls, dealing with the police department X number of times in the past month, I looked up the name of the owner (which is public record) through the county assessor yesterday and put a phone call into him. I explained the situation here, and how scared for our safety we and ALL of the tenants are. He was nice in that he spent adequate time with me talking and was sympathetic to our great financial loss and suffering we have gone through while living on his property, but he proceeded to explain how statistics show that not a single method of security such as bars on the windows, alarms, security cameras or a gate will adequately prevent the crime that we have been experiencing. How in the world can anyone take that stance? Is it just me or does it seem like a simple law of physics...crime will take the path of least resistance? Something is better than nothing in deterring robberies, right?! OMG! Anyway, the only option he did leave open was to move out, and he would not hold us responsible to the terms of our lease, and since we have a house in Phoenix waiting for us, we are considering doing it. I would have to continue to live here in Tucson at a friend's house for another month and a half while I wrap up school and study for the boards, but our property would no longer be at risk (and we would be out of harms way), and Shane could take the dogs to Phoenix. Not ideal, since we would not see eachother very often again, but we could make it work. Better than paying the insane price we pay here to have the owners and managers remain complacent to what is an obvious safety issue!!! ::)

What do you guys think? It is a tough decision, but something has gotta give!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I am contacting him this morning so that I can get it in writing from him. And then, I will be handing out his cell phone number to everyone in our complex, because we certainly are NOT the only ones who want out! One of our neighbors came home to being robbed and her dog had been sedated and attacked by the intruders. Another had a brick fly through their window while they were standing withing about a foot from it. It is just too dangerous to live here!!!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yep, I'd say move! I came home to my door kicked in after taking Thor for a walk, and I moved out the next day. I told my landlord I didn't feel safe and they didn't hold me to the lease. Yes, make sure you get everything in writing. I didn't get my security deposit back, but that was nothing in relation to my safety.

Good luck

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'd move too it's not ideal but a month apart more is better than possibly being robbed or attacked. Good luck. I would also wait until after you've moved to give out his number. Just in case he decides that everyone is leaving and changes his mind.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am going over to his office in about an hour to present him with irrefutable evidence regarding enhanced safety with implemented security devices, the demand letter, the petition with all of the tenants signatures, and ask him for a letter in writing releasing us from our lease as of May 1st. I will let you all know how it goes!

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Yep, I'd leave. It's better to be safe, and a month and a half will go by quickly with all the studying you'll be doing.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Good grief! Oh yeah, I would be out of there so fast his head would spin. Sedated and attacked their dog?!?! :eek: Oh yes, color me finished. Good for you for getting everything in writing and covering all bases. Yes, please leave fast! Brenda's right, the time will pass very quickly and everyone will be safe.

Where do you live, btw? Just curious...I know you've probably said but I can't remember. :-[

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Go.............meet Shane in Casa Grande for dinner occasionally so you both only have to drive half way but get the heck out of there. Tucson has never been among my favorite places in AZ.

What part of Phoenix are you moving to? We live northwest of Peoria and I-17 and we don't have any major crime issues.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
chocolatecoverdlab said:
Well, I am going over to his office in about an hour to present him with irrefutable evidence regarding enhanced safety with implemented security devices, the demand letter, the petition with all of the tenants signatures, and ask him for a letter in writing releasing us from our lease as of May 1st. I will let you all know how it goes!
I would make sure you have the letter in hand before presenting him with all of the other stuff...otherwise, you may put his panties in a bind and refuse to give you your letter.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'd go and I wouldn't even consider staying even if he put in add'l safety measures. It would not be a risk I'd be worth taking. A month apart will seem like nothing in the long run.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts