Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a service/web site now that will allow visitors to "Ask the Pharmacist" questions about their medications. As some of you know I used to practice as a pharmacist before I decided to pursue a career in medicine. I thought this service would be extremely valuable to patients and their families. I've started a "lens" at Squidoo to see if this will be successful and if it is I am considering it as a business idea. If you all could let me know what you think it would be appreciated.

http://www.squidoo.com/askthepharmacist/

Feel free to leave feedback on the page, or even submit your meds to be reviewed!

Thanks,

Daniel

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Pretty cool Daniel. My only concern is that people may be leary of this type site offering free health care advice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I agree. I mention on the page that the service would eventually be fee-based.

Daniel

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I'm sure you've already thought about this, but what about the potential liability issues by making recommendations regarding the use of medications? I know this is your area of expertise, which means malpractice could be an issue. People do love to sue.

Other than that, I think it's a great service. I know my grandparents take tons and tons of drugs, from different doctors, and I often wonder if they're not being over-medicated. Well, they were at one point as one of their doctors looked over all the drugs they were on and eliminated several. For a lot of seniors, just eliminated a few medications can save them a whole lot of money.

G

·
Daniel,

This looks like a great service. I'm going to forward the link to my father-in-law for his network of "senior" friends! ;D

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I would think that as long as you are not recommending or endorsing any drugs but simply explaining what they are, how they work, and answering specific questions from patients about their med it should be fine. You're licensed to do that. I wouldn't hesitate to use your site to answer my own questions.

G

·
I agree with Paddysmom. I always look to see if medications that are mixed are okay, things like that. I would use the site.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I would have to assume liability to a certain degree. But this is part of everyday practice for pharmacists around the country. I would certainly add a statement that would say something to the effect of "this service should not substitute for the advice of your family physician."

Daniel

G

·
I would certainly add a statement that would say something to the effect of "this service should not substitute for the advice of your family physician."
That's a great idea, a lot of sites have something like that just to stay on the safe side, like a disclaimer :)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I like the site a lot, Daniel. My only concern would the be liability issue. I'm going to forward the web addy to a friend that is concerned about all the meds her Mom is taking. All she does is sleep.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think it is a great idea. I believe down the road we will be communicating with our personal Physicians in the same way.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I think that is a great site. Many of my patients would come in with a bag of medications from several different doctors. They did not know what many of them were for. It is a wonderful service. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Daniel!! I had no idea you used to be a pharmacist!!! That is SO cool. 8)

I don't have time right this minute to look at the site, but believe me, I will. This is RIGHT up my alley ;) I think it sounds like a FABULOUS idea! Really!

I would absolutely love to find an MD who had a background in pharmacology...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha ha! Yeah I wonder that same thing. But I think I'd go crazy if I didn't have a hobby outside of medicine. Third year is not as time intensive as the first two years. Especially with the 80 hour work week limitation.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I think it's a wonderful idea. When my DH first got sick he was taking 40 pills a day. It was crazy! For me personally to use it I would probably feel more comfortable if it were linked to a well known site, like webmd or mayoclinic.com, or endorsed by a known company. I tend to be leary of random sites. Good luck, it's a great idea and much needed service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts