Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shadow was fine this morning and early afternoon. About 3:30 she started acting tired and went into her crate. I called her out about 4:00 to go outside, and she went, slowly, and just stood there. When we came in, I gave her an apple, which she took into her crate and left there. NOT normal. I offered her a Frosty Paws, she licked it half-heartedly, then turned away from it before she was half finished. I checked her gums and they were grey so I put her in the van and went straight to the vet.

His first thought was that she was bleeding, so he did an ultrasound. Nothing. Xray - nothing. Four needle aspirations and came up with nothing each time. He said there were four things that could go wrong after a surgery like hers: internal bleeding; a blood clot (which would cause a heart attack and she'd be gone almost instantly): something I think he called DCV, where the platelets clot up too much and there aren't enough in her system (but a blood test test showed platelets were there); and shock.

Dr. Dobson was afraid she wasn't going to make it through the night without a transfusion, but they don't have blood on hand and I'd have to take her to the emergency vet about 12 miles away. I didn't want to take her to some vet neither of us know, that doesn't know her, and that I'm not comfortable with. Also, the first thing another vet is going to think is causing the shock is bleeding, and would open her back up. Dr. Dobson said that, the way she is right now, she would not survive another surgery. The spleen was so enlarged and the mass they removed was so huge, and that sometimes their bodies just don't react well to having that much tissue removed. Also, a dog her age should not have had a mass that large or a spleen that enlarged, and that there may be something going on inside her body that we don't understand. He said there were a couple of things he could try, but that her blood count was very low and he wasn't sure anything would help. They gave her a cortisone shot and an IV of fluid and she started to pink up a bit.

In between I was talking to Bill on the phone - he returned to Louisville this morning. He called our friends and asked them to meet me over there so I wouldn't be alone.

Dr. Dobson suggested that I could take her home with the IV, but I could not deal with losing her when we were here alone - I just can't. I asked him what her chances would be if they kept her there (no one is there all night long). He said as long as she kept responding, she had a good chance. We went back to see her and she was looking better, her eyes were clear, her gums starting to get pink, and she tried to sit up. While we were with her, Dr. Dobson came back and said they had a donor dog! One of the workers there was going to bring her dog in to donate blood for a transfusion. They all just love Shadow because she is such a sweetheart. They told me to go on home just as they were prepating to start the blood into the IV, and Dr. Dobson said he would call me later and let me know how she's responding to the transfusion.

PLEASE say a prayer for my baby that she makes it through the night! Oh yes - he got the lab report back, and it was a hematoma, totally benign. Thank You, God! Now, please God, don't take her from me because of shock.

I'm sorry if this is disjointed, but I;m a total mess right now.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Oh I am so very sorry. Prayers for Shadow and you are on the way. Let us know how things are going. Know we are all here with you in spirit holding your hand.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I am so sorry shadow isn't feeling well. I hope all is good in the morning. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Please let us know how she is doing whenever you can.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Prayers for Shadow on their way. And for you too.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Powerful thoughts and prayers are headed her way !! We will be thinking of her...........

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love you and Shadow Hon. I am with you in sprit and praying for you and Shadow. Call me as soon as you here ANYTHING!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Thank you for the update, I know you are a mess right now (I know I would be too). Sending all good and healing thoughts for Shadow.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will honey - hoping Dr. Dobson will call soon. That man is phenomenal, I can't believe all the trouble he is going to for our baby.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts