Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr. Dobson called me at about 8:45 am and said that Shadow was doing better and that I could pick her up. She is still not out of the woods, not by a long shot, but she's home. :) Her blood count is up to 28 thanks to the transfusion. She's to get one Prednisone today and another tomorrow to help her body build its defenses, will stay on Amoxicillin for a few more days, Pepcid before meals to settle her tummy, and then back for a recheck on Tuesday.

Shadow pooped after we got home and it was almost black, which indicates blood in her system. This is the first time it has been that dark. I called and asked if they wanted me to bring in a sample and the tech said that all they could tell from it is that she lost blood, which we already know, or if she has parasites, which aren't a concern right now and she was clear four weeks ago. It still scared me. Her inner eyelids are much pinker than they were yesterday, and we're just going to relax and rest a LOT.

To echo what Bill said, thank you all for the prayers and good thoughts, they really DO work (as evidenced by Jim's daughter Jamie, as well ;D). All through this, Shadow has still been wagging her tail. I just pray she wags it for many years to come. Thank You, God, for giving us back our guardian Angel. :angel:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Glad she is home. I hope she heels quickly and this is the end of any complications.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
So glad to hear it!! Hang in there, baby girl. :angel:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
What good news to see this am. Prayers continuing ........

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened, but I am glad she is feeling better this morning. I read this post first this morning (wasn't online last night) and then had to go searching for what happened last night. And even knowing the outcome, I still have tears in my eyes. That must've been so scary for you.

Congrats to you for knowing to take her to the vet right away - you saved her life!!! I'm sure some of us would second guess it and think it's just a reaction to the surgery and wait to see how they are feeling the next day. You've definitely taught me a lesson! Give her an extra hug and kiss from all of us!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Great news! She is very lucky to have you.

Prayers for continued improvement.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Oh God what an ordeal!! I'm so glad I read this post before I saw the other one and that she is back home.
I can only imagine what you went through. Prayers continuing for you and shadow.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
More awesome news!! I have a huge lump in my throat after reading the two major updates this morning. You take it easy Shadow so Momma and the vets can make you all better. Thank you to the awesome dog and its owner that gave her a transfusion!!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm so glad that Shadow is home.
Continued prayers and good thoughts for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I'm so happy to hear that Shadow is home and you can shower her with love. Hope she gets better everyday and we will keep her in our prayers. Hugs from me and Princee to Shadow and you.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm SO sorry to hear of your scare. I am keeping Shadow in my prayers. Being new to this list, how old is Shadow? I gathered that Shadow had some surgery earlier, perhaps?

I had a very similar thing happen last year about this time. :( My 9 yo Mollie crashed--- was in shock. Gums were cold, and her temp was only 95.7F that morning (she wouldn't get out of her crate to eat which was very unusual since she was my pig of the group). Nothing unusual showed on xray (thought she'd eaten something she shouldnt have) but bloodwork showed elevated liver enzymes. Within 5 days, her liver panel was halfway to normal and she was completely happy and normal again. Thought we were out of the woods.... but on Memorial Day, (she was normal at 2pm) she began to crash again within an hour. She died on the way to emergency. :'( I was too devastated to have an autopsy done, but the vets now all believe w/ the prior incident, that she had hemangiosarcoma of the liver, which comes on very fast, and they eventually bleed out at a major artery (can't mend on their own).

I really hope this isn't the case w/ Shadow.... I really do... but had I known then what I know now, I may have done a few things differently. We did get to do most of her favorite things that last month, but I still feel like beating myself up a little because she was one of 6 dogs and there's only so much time sometimes to spend with each. I guess what I am trying to say to everyone is we need to enjoy every day with our dogs to the fullest possible and really cherish every moment while we can. They are often taken much too early. -Anne

1 - 20 of 22 Posts