Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a sewing machine mainly for sewing pillow covers, curtains, maybe some quilting, hemming etc. Basically to do fairly regular stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good sewing machine to do this?

TIA!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
My mom quilts and makes curtains, etc. She swears by her Janome machine. To me, it looks too complicated. She had Singer and Pfaff (not sure I spelled that correctly) in the past and swears by the Janome.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I have a Singer Inspiration that I bought for simple projects (curtains, pillow covers, hemming, table cloths, napkins, etc.). I would go to a sewing store, tell them what your intended uses are and ask them what they recommend. If you are just going to make things with simple, straight stitches don't buy something that does more than you need.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys! I will definitely do that tonight :D I have only ever heard of Singer really. I will look into Janome too!

My mom has this nearly 150 year old Singer sewing machine she still uses. They sure built those to last!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I have a Kenmore one. Pretty basic, with about 20 different stitch patterns. I like it. I'm not a big time seamstress or anything. lol

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I asked for a sewing machine for Christmas 3 or 4 years ago. I think it's a Singer. I'm not sure because I haven't used it once! I'm scared of it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a 37 year old Elna that I dig out of the closet every so often, oil it and go. It weighs about 20 pounds. I bought it in Europe before I moved here and bought a transformer for it and it still works like a charm. I don't do any fancy stitching on it and it has never let me down.

I took it to a store near me for a service and they couldn't beleive it was still going strong. they make them in plastic now, mine is metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts