Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned about my health and HKs. They are predicting a high of +26 F for this coming Tuesday. I think I need to refresh my knowledge of heat exhaustion and heat stroke symptoms and treatment.

Currently -2 F, windchill numbs around -20 F. High for the day +6 F. 20 degrees warmer in just 4 days. Not sure this body can take a change that large.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
17 in Dallas this morning. Allegedly, people have been rushed to the ER for hypothermia just by looking outside for too long.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I was reading that it was -52 in ND with the windchlls. You'd have to commit me because I'd lose my mind.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
you don't go outside when it's like that. It's just too dangerous. They cancel school here for -20. Too cold to wait outside for the bus.
Some guy on The Weather Channel was saying you'd have frostbite within 30 minute of exposure in those temps/wind chills.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Some guy on The Weather Channel was saying you'd have frostbite within 30 minute of exposure in those temps/wind chills.
I would think it would happen before that. I thought it was only a matter of minutes for exposed skin?

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
It's windy as heck here and the rain is blowing side ways, its not snow but it certainly is miserable to be out in! Off to Costco I go- Blach!!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
It was zero F this morning when Puff and I went out. I decided we'd just walk up and down our snow packed street rather than drive to the nature preserve, put on XC skis, decide it was too cold, and then drive home.

Tomorrow morning, it's supposed to be -11º F/-24º C. I'd planned on driving with Puff 150 miles to the wedding of a friend, a young Episcopal priest who has a Lab, but decided against it. Too many miles on non-interstate, snow packed roads.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good plan, Bob.

Had to make a short trip yesterday on the Interstate. 12 miles. It took me 20 minutes (not rush hour) to get from one exit to the next (2 miles). Decided to get off at the second exit and save the trip for today.

Supposedly we know how to handle snow here in MN. Well, enough of us have apparently forgotten anything we ever knew. In that 2 miles, straight and level, I saw 8 vehicles in the ditch. No reason for it, just pure stupidity.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Gonna go to -25F real temp tomorrow, in my younger days we'd dress proper and go hunting in this. I know a couple of the younger guys are work are going out tomorrow because it's the late deer season.

Proper clothing and a little common sense is all you need. They only reason I don't anymore is with the nerve damage to my hands, they go numb with just a bit of cold. I was out about 5 minutes today with Rowdy and had just a light vest and long sleeve shirt on, but I did put my boots on. Those who grew up around this stuff don't make a big deal of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts