Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My four yr old lab is having problems when my husband and I leave him. We use to gate him in the hallway with all of his stuff IE: bed, toys but when we would arrive home a few hours later (2-3 at the most) the gate was destroyed and our blinds were eaten. We then purchased him a crate and tried to start introducing it to while we were home for ten, twenty, thirty minutes at a time. We then after a week left the house for a few hours and place him in the crate with a TV on, his Kong toy and his blanket only to come home and find that he had tried to eat his crate door. The door was bent in and a piece of it was broken. Before we placed him in the crate we always take him outside for 30-40minutes to play ball and use the bathroom. Does anyone have any suggestions as to help him with what seems to be separation anxiety? I'm really concerned that he is going to hurt himself.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Keep trying with the crate, and here's a suggestion. Don't leave the TV on, or the radio. Turn the blinds down so you make the room as dark as possible. This is what shelters do for dogs in quarantine. It reduces stimuli and keeps the dogs calmer because of it. I used to leave what I thought was soothing music on (classical) but if a violin begins skreeing in search of a higher note it just could irritate the dogs' ears.

So. Dark, quiet, one favorite toy or your own t-shirt to soothe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts