Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Senior dog foods...Yay? or Nay?--

So I'm still searching for a new food for Tucker.

A clerk at one of the stores I went into recommended a senior food for Tucker, who is 9. She specifically thought he'd do well on Wellness Super5Mix Senior.

I'm just not sure?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Did she say why? Because it has GLUC/Chon/MSM in it or what? If so, I would opt to just buy the supplements and add to it myself. That is why I advised the ex to do for Jake who just turned 9.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes- that is exactly what she said. Also, because it helps maintain weight and is easy on their stomachs.

I honestly had never given a senior food a thought, so it kind of threw me for a loop.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Yes- that is exactly what she said. Also, because it helps maintain weight and is easy on their stomachs...
From what I've heard/read, the amount of gluc/chon/msm in foods isn't enough. Unless there is a medical reason, I'd stick with adult food and supplement with gluc/chon/msm if needed.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Nay. I do not change mine to senior food unless the vet and I see a reason. My 10 year old Shanny eats what 7 month old Quinn does and does very well on it.

If the dog is having digestive issues, then maybe. Otherwise, no. For the most part, IMO senior food is a gimmick like large breed adult food.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's currently on Wellness CORE. It costs $80+ for a 26lb bag and it does not last even 6 weeks. The price has jumped about $20 since I started feeding it last year.

I'm looking for something a little bit cheaper. Also, something to help his coat. While his poop is good on CORE, his coat looks dull and he is flaky. My boy needs Selsun Blue! LOL

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Wow! I think it's $65 for the big bag here and I thought that was steep! :eek:

Are you trying to stick with grain-free? I'm not sure what's available by you, but Abbey's been on Taste of The Wild and has done great. It's $35/bag for me here, so it's a little bit on the cheaper side. If you're worried about his coat, you could always do a supplement. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.