Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Mrs. Walters:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me regarding Canadian seal hunting. I am always eager to hear from Hoosiers that take an active interest in preserving and protecting our wildlife.

The Canadian Seal Hunting Act (S.Res.84) passed the Senate with my support and was signed into law on May 7, 2009. This bill urges the Canadian government to prohibit the commercial hunting of seals. Furthermore, it strongly supports an unconditional prohibition by the European Union on trade in seal product.

Please rest assured that I will do all I can to preserve and protect our environment and wildlife, especially those species near extinction. Furthermore, I will keep your thoughts in mind as legislation regarding the treatment and protection of animals comes before the Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I hope the information I have provided has been helpful. My website, http://bayh.senate.gov, can provide additional details about my work in the Senate, including legislation and state projects. You can also sign up for occasional email updates. I value your input and hope you will continue to keep me informed of the issues that matter to you.

Office of Senator Evan Bayh

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
What were your thoughts, and what was he talking about by protecting species near extinction? The latter certainly doesn't apply to the seals. The Atlantic cod fisheries certainly, but not the seals.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm missing the point, too.

And I had to google "Hoosier" ... never heard that term before!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had contacted him in concern of seal hunting and the inhuman way it's done. I also expressed my concern about species being driven to threatening numbers. He was responding to that. Also, I surprised you never heard the term Hoosiers. There was a movie made on basketball by that title years ago, Indiana is a big basketball state and if you are from Indiana your considered a Hoosier.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
The seal hunt is vital to the local economy. I hope you realize that you are interfering with people's means of supporting themselves and their families. Where are you getting your information that it's inhuman? Would you rather see their population go out of control, destroy the fishery by feeding on diminishing stocks and then start to starve to death when they can no longer find food?

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
The seal hunt is vital to the local economy. I hope you realize that you are interfering with people's means of supporting themselves and their families. Where are you getting your information that it's inhuman? Would you rather see their population go out of control, destroy the fishery by feeding on diminishing stocks and then start to starve to death when they can no longer find food?
But they're so cute.......can't they kill something not so cuddly. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I doubt any of them Senators are in the least bit qualified to even have an opinion on wildlife management. :rolleyes:

Can pretty well tell you the ones that are didn't vote yes.;)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Bingo. You know what pisses me off? All these people who are crying for the end to this "inhumane" practice, who don't even know the whole story ffs.

Would you rather they starve to death in 4 years time, which is probably what it would take for them to deplete their natural food supply, AND wipe out countless upon countless other species, and I'm not even talking fish here. What about the porpoises, turtles, whales, plants, other marine life that require these eco systems to survive?

IF you don't have a seal hunt, these seals are going to spin out of control population wise, kill off entire eco systems, deprive an entire CULTURE and people who depend on the seal hunt and have for generation after generation from their way of life/support/food. etc.

FFS, stop looking at seals as "cute furry creatures" and get your heads out of your asses and think about the bigger picture.

Perhaps we should start telling Indiana that deer/turkey/quail hunting is inhumane and rally our people to force you all to stop it?

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Perhaps we should start telling Indiana that deer/turkey/quail hunting is inhumane and rally our people to force you all to stop it?

Gawd, don't do that, these are the same folks us hunters down here keep fighting off. A state wildlife bioligist I know said the best thing that happened to being able to properly manage the deer herds in my state was when they got so thick the anti-hunting folks were hitting them on a regular basis. Additudes change when it gets personal.;)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I'm just curious... did the seals lose a natural predator or something? I'm assuming less polar bears means more seals... or maybe environmental changes affect how prolific they are?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Gawd, don't do that, these are the same folks us hunters down here keep fighting off. A state wildlife bioligist I know said the best thing that happened to being able to properly manage the deer herds in my state was when they got so thick the anti-hunting folks were hitting them on a regular basis. Additudes change when it gets personal.;)
Del, you're missing the point - it's the SAME bloody thing!!!!! Deer pops get crazy and what happens?....

Just apply that to seals!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Del, you're missing the point - it's the SAME bloody thing!!!!! Deer pops get crazy and what happens?....

Just apply that to seals!
No I got the point fine, what I'm saying is if the over population of the seals were bothering any of these folks, their additude would be far different.

Folks who don't understand wildlife management should just keep their noses and emothions out of it, period.;)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
They'd love it if you would. The same people who don't like the fact that Canadians enjoy clubbing cute little seals also don't like the fact that every fall I like to gun down Bambi. It's nice to know the Senate believes they've got the whole health care, catastrophic budget deficit, and economy thing sorted out enough that they can turn to meddling in Canada's wildlife management policies.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
They'd love it if you would. The same people who don't like the fact that Canadians enjoy clubbing cute little seals also don't like the fact that every fall I like to gun down Bambi. It's nice to know the Senate believes they've got the whole health care, catastrophic budget deficit, and economy thing sorted out enough that they can turn to meddling in Canada's wildlife management policies.
I am not a hunter...just grew up doing different stuff. I know alot of folks who do hunt though, and they are very wildlife conscious. I couldn't even slaughter a cow for food, so I am glad someone else does. I guess I am too soft for my own good!

Anyway, part of wildlife conservation is setting proper limits on kills for hunters. Nothing wrong with that. As for the seals, I really don't know enough about how they go about these to talk intelligently about it. But I do know that even though I can't shoot Bambi myself, it is a win win situation because it keeps the deer population from getting out of control, and those who hunt deer use the meat for food.

I haven't seen anyone in Washington who knows enough about any of these issues to make an intelligent determination on wildlife management.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
People from Indiana are called Hoosiers, no one TRULY knows why. Here's a great little movie based on a true story, if you're interested. It's about basketball, we're a little obsessed here. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091217/

Rest assured, this Hoosier doesn't pretend to have any place in your seal hunt. But then again, I occasionally could look out my back door and see a deer hanging in a tree from my hunting dad. So maybe I come from a different place in this argument.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I am not a hunter...just grew up doing different stuff. I know alot of folks who do hunt though, and they are very wildlife conscious. I couldn't even slaughter a cow for food, so I am glad someone else does. I guess I am too soft for my own good!

Anyway, part of wildlife conservation is setting proper limits on kills for hunters. Nothing wrong with that. As for the seals, I really don't know enough about how they go about these to talk intelligently about it. But I do know that even though I can't shoot Bambi myself, it is a win win situation because it keeps the deer population from getting out of control, and those who hunt deer use the meat for food.

I haven't seen anyone in Washington who knows enough about any of these issues to make an intelligent determination on wildlife management.
I don't know much about the seal hunt either, but my problem is more with the US Senate wasting time on something they have no business becoming involved in. I have no problem with rushpuppy believing the way she does. I don't have a problem with someone who doesn't like hunting. It's a hobby for me, and I don't expect everyone to approve of all my hobbies. I do have a problem, and I'm guessing the Canadians do as well, with the US Senate trying to get involved with something so exclusively within the realm of the Canadian government.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I got the point fine, what I'm saying is if the over population of the seals were bothering any of these folks, their additude would be far different.

Folks who don't understand wildlife management should just keep their noses and emothions out of it, period.;)
IT'S NOT THE HUNTING SPECIFICALLY THAT I OBJECT TO, it's the way it's done and the suffering that goes with the practice. Excuse me for caring about an animal suffering before it's dead. I'm not talking about starvation kind of suffering. I'm talking about being aware of being killed because it's still alive while it's being beaten to death. THAT'S WHAT I OBJECT TO.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
The hakapik is not an inefficient nor inhumane tool for killing seals. The seals are not being 'beaten to death'. The hakapik is used on young seals while a rifle is used on adults. The latter poses greater risk of an injured animal escaping to die slowly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts