Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, everyone said "let them work it out" which I have definitely done. Keegan is very persistent and never gives in. Sedona gives it right back. I noticed last week Sedona had a bloody spot on her neck and had my son come over on his lunch hour (he is a vet tech) and he shaved the area to see what was going on. Above the unshaved area is a big scab and in the shaved area two little bite marks and scratches. Is this normal for puppies to be this aggressive to the point of injuring the adult dog? She will latch on and not let go and Sedona can't even shake her off. Keegan is a very sweet girl, and learning from Sedona, who chewed me up good, I ALWAYS have a toy or something to pop in her mouth and I can say no bite and she listens to me and stops the biting. I guess my question is this - is this normal for injuries to happen during this time. Keegan just turned 11 weeks yesterday. The area that is injured is hard to cover because it is so high up. I have a neck wrap wide pouch that my husband took to work and will have his person sew wide velcro on and I think that will keep it covered. Any suggestions? :drama:

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
It's quite normal. I have pictures of Quinn hanging off of Teddie's neck as they're running in the backyard. The little bites can develop into hotspots which it looks like in your photo. Unless the older dog puts the puppy in its place, expect to see more of these over time. Usually once the puppy develops its adult teeth, this type of thing ends. The puppy teeth are sharp and can break the skin easier than the adult teeth.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Poor Sedona!! Henry had a few of those when Ollie was still equipped with his puppy teeth. Needless to say, we were all overjoyed when those teeth started falling out! I pretty much let the two of them work it out as well for the most part, but after finding those scabs on Hen, I stepped in and stopped Ollie from hanging off Henry's neck.

As Laura said, it usually stops when the adult teeth come in. Ollie still loves to hold Henry by his neck skin but he does it with a very soft mouth now.

Hope Sedona heals up quickly! :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Fitzgerald did that with Clarence too but we were lucky and never had any scabs or hotspots. I would always just re-direct Fitz when I thought he was going to draw blood, just like you're doing. Hope Sedona heals quickly. Did your son tell you to put Neosporin or something on the spot?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hampton frequently hangs from Jeb's neck. Only as Hampton has gotten older does Jeb do any correction. I don't think Jeb ever had any broken skin, though/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts