Just Labradors banner

second lab

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Snowco Labradors 
#1 ·
Gracie will be 7 this summer and I have wanted another dog for over a year - we are finally hooked into a lab rescue here in SO CA and I was a little worried - what age shoud we or NOT get for a girl her age - she is young at heart but some say not a puppy? She gets walked daily. I would greatly appreciate your input - We can't wait to find that new memebr of our family.

:confused:

#4 ·
Whenever getting another dog, we ALWAYS take the brood we have with us... Usually its just 2 dogs... but we have gotten a third... Both boys have to be comfortable with who they choose... if they show any nervousness, anxiety, or any odd behavior, we pass on that dog....

Personally, I have found that an older rescue does far better in our home...they tend to be (at least in my opinion and experience with my dog) a little more mellow and able to slide into our routine and rules a bit easier....but always, let your dogs pick the newcomer....(Indy has always picked who is coming to the family and in the almost 11 years I have had him, he's always picked the best ones!)

#5 ·
When I adopted my 10yo GSD, I took my Pug with me to her home to see if they'd be compatible. Within about 5 seconds of meeting, they were both down on their front paws with bums in the air & wagging their tails. They then proceeded to chase each other around the back yard.:) It was at that point, I knew they were made for each other & brought the old girl home. They've been best friends ever since. :D

So as the others have said, let your existing dog choose its new house mate & you can't go wrong. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.