Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a dog with this, or heard of this before? I took Abzie to the vet's this a.m., for a rash and two balding spots on her flank. Of course the rash was all gone today (but we got a couple of ideas what it might be) . My vet thinks the flank spots are most likely seasonal flank alopecia, or hyperthyroidism, but she shows no other symptoms of that at all.

So, anyone have experience with this? I'm gonna have one funny looking puppers in a bit LOL

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Mira had some bald spots on her side near her hi and the vet said it was a skin infection. She was on antibiotics for about 3 weeks and it is almost gone now. He said it was staph.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, interesting. Abby's other rash was though to be a stap infection that cleared up, or allergies. I will have to call in and ask about the flank spots being staph too.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes! Bella has seasonal alopecia. When she was about two years old the fur on her belly and also on the back of her rear legs started getting quite thin in the late spring/early summer. The pattern is symmetrical. In addition the skin on her belly and rear legs would get darker, sort of a purple/pink. Around Thanksgiving the fur starts to grow back and her skin turns lighter again. She's almost 11 now and it seems like the problem isn't quite as noticeable as it was when she was younger. Her coat has never been super thick (no undercoat), although it's shiny and healthy otherwise.

When this first happened I took her to the vet for various tests (Cushing's disease, allergy testing, skin scraping for yeast infection, several other tests) but they found nothing. The problem is completely cosmetic. Otherwise she's very healthy and active - never any other problems, thank goodness.

When this first started happening I did some research and discovered that flank alopecia is especially common in boxers. Bella's hair loss isn't exactly the same since it's her belly and legs that are affected, but it's definitely seasonal. Strange but benign. If I remember correctly, there has been some success in treating it with melanin, but I don't recall the details.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
labwrangler said:
Yes! Bella has seasonal alopecia. When she was about two years old the fur on her belly and also on the back of her rear legs started getting quite thin in the late spring/early summer. The pattern is symmetrical. In addition the skin on her belly and rear legs would get darker, sort of a purple/pink. Around Thanksgiving the fur starts to grow back and her skin turns lighter again. She's almost 11 now and it seems like the problem isn't quite as noticeable as it was when she was younger. Her coat has never been super thick (no undercoat), although it's shiny and healthy otherwise.

When this first happened I took her to the vet for various tests (Cushing's disease, allergy testing, skin scraping for yeast infection, several other tests) but they found nothing. The problem is completely cosmetic. Otherwise she's very healthy and active - never any other problems, thank goodness.

When this first started happening I did some research and discovered that flank alopecia is especially common in boxers. Bella's hair loss isn't exactly the same since it's her belly and legs that are affected, but it's definitely seasonal. Strange but benign. If I remember correctly, there has been some success in treating it with melanin, but I don't recall the details.
YES!! thank you Labwrangler!! This sounds exactly like Abby - the rash I took her in for on her belly was purple/pink..... her baldness is symmetrical - she's got two balding spots just above her hip joints, almost mirroring her angel wings!

Thank you! I'm still gonna follow up in a month's time, but this sounds the exact same....

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theoconbrio said:
Awww. Poor nudie girl.
You owe me a new keyboard as I just spit coffee all over it LOL

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll let the Tubzilla know you sent them.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Karina, if you want, I can send over some of Henery's extra furs (handfuls upon handfuls) and maybe we could graft them onto Abzilla??

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
lol nudie girl and Abzilla... :eek: That's worse than pinhead!

poor baby...i hope its something simple...
I had a student with alopecia...totally bald ..no facial or body hair either. When he was a SR it started to grow back a little on his head.
The little patch of hair, he was so proud of.... I noticed from the lectern one morning was shaped exactly like the continent of Africa!
It was wild! I was so distracted and had to share this revelation with him after class and he agreed! So we called him Congo head for the rest of the term. :D

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
TangerineFizz said:
Anyone have a dog with this, or heard of this before? I took Abzie to the vet's this a.m., for a rash and two balding spots on her flank. Of course the rash was all gone today (but we got a couple of ideas what it might be) . My vet thinks the flank spots are most likely seasonal flank alopecia, or hyperthyroidism, but she shows no other symptoms of that at all.

So, anyone have experience with this? I'm gonna have one funny looking puppers in a bit LOL
Bulldogs are known for getting this, but it isn't something that starts off with a rash...it is just alopecia, or hair loss. There are a tremendous number of treatments that dermatologists have tried for this, but as long as it isn't bothering the dog, usually there isn't much point.

Like you mentioned, thyroid problems (or anything endocrine like Cushing's disease, etc., in a dog "hypothyroidism" is much more common than "hyperthyroidism" which is generally more of an older cat problem) can also cause symmetric hair loss. Diagnosing low thyroid is typically done through labwork.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Uh oh, just seeing this now. Poor Tubzilla, errrrrr, I mean Abby. :( I hope it clears up quickly, K.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Shadow had some very symmetrical bald spots on her flanks a couple of years ago. Looked almost like someone had put adhesive patches or wax strips on on her and then ripped off the hair. :-\ Vet did scrapes, checked her thyroid, found nothing that could cause it. We put her on Missing Link Plus on the advice of a neighbor whose dog had very similar patches, and in less than 30 days saw very obvious regrowth in the bald spots. They filled in very nicely and have remained filled in so we keep her on the Missing Link.

*edited because I can't type!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh, I'm definitely going to try Missing Link! It's never too late, maybe it will help. Poor Bella, she's got a bald belly and she's lumpy (lipomas), but look at that face! And she's such a sweet girl.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts