Just Labradors banner

Sea Kelp to help loss of pigment??

13K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Pasha 
#1 ·
I posted this in conformation/showing also. But no comments, so I thought maybe someone could advise me here. Has anyone heard of or has anyone used sea kelp to help with regaining pigment. Exclusively for my labby's nose. He is yellow with excellent pigment, but snow nose has not gone south yet!! Any advise??

#2 ·
Nope. If it's going to change, it's going to change. Rookie had excellent pigment (and still does everywhere else), and he got snow nose. It's in his line though. His mom, grandpa, and other yellows down the line never maintained a black nose.

#4 ·
I have heard that it is biotin that controls proper distribution of pigment. Many kelp products contain biotin. I was told kelp is a source of biotin.
I was also told to use just a biotin supplement but I was not promised anything as to weather it would help darken pigment or not. ALSO was told to stay clear of the kelp if there is the chance of autoimmune disorders because of the iodine.

#7 ·
cinderbaylabs said:
I have heard that it is biotin that controls proper distribution of pigment. Many kelp products contain biotin. I was told kelp is a source of biotin.
I was also told to use just a biotin supplement but I was not promised anything as to weather it would help darken pigment or not. ALSO was told to stay clear of the kelp if there is the chance of autoimmune disorders because of the iodine.
I have never heard this but wanted to mention that from my research the body will not absorb one b vitamin on its own. So if you supplement with Biotin you must give a b complex with it. I have used Biotin for dry skin/coat issues with success.

#8 ·
I just did a search on biotin and pigment in yahoo and came up with several sites saying about the same thing.

Vitamin B8 or biotin is vital for a healthy immune system. This vitamin helps to maintain the skin and the nervous system in a sound condition. It controls proper distribution of color pigment. An extremely small amount of this vitamin has a marked effect on the growth of yeast and certain bacteria. It forms part of several enzyme systems.

She also did not claim this WILL indeed fix pigment. She said IF it truly does work it is only in cases where pigment was there to start out with and not in dogs totally lacking pigment.

Biotin in itelf is a b complex vitamin. I do not recall the person saying something about the taking it with other b vitamins. But I do believe that is the case in mose b complex vitamins?

I myself have not tried it.

#9 ·
pale nose ['dudley nose'] can in some cases be caused from plastic food/water dishes, they get tiny abrasions inside that act like sandpaper on the top layer of nose skin.
if you haven't already, switch to metal bowls [stainless steel]. i find mine at yard sales for very cheap, they last forever.
then, it may take a few weeks for any changes to become apparent.
if one or both parents had light noses, it is most likely genetic & there's nothing to be done..however, you can get it tatooed dark if it bothers you . [it would be done under anesthesia, most vets can do it, and like all tatoos, it's permanent.]

#12 ·
pale nose ['dudley nose'] can in some cases be caused from plastic food/water dishes, they get tiny abrasions inside that act like sandpaper on the top layer of nose skin.
if you haven't already, switch to metal bowls [stainless steel]. i find mine at yard sales for very cheap, they last forever.
then, it may take a few weeks for any changes to become apparent.
if one or both parents had light noses, it is most likely genetic & there's nothing to be done..however, you can get it tatooed dark if it bothers you . [it would be done under anesthesia, most vets can do it, and like all tatoos, it's permanent.]
What?! Tattoo your dogs nose....? This is ridiculous. Unnecessary trauma for the dog and just all around not cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.