Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scout is really hurting me with his bites . He charges me often through the day and chomps down really hard. When I tell him no he thinks its a game. I've been giving him treats when he follows my command for "no bite" but he doesn't listen that much. It is hard to want to be around when he causes me so much pain. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
"Bite" him back. When he puts his teeth on you, put your hand over his muzzle, curling his upper lip over his teeth, end press until you get a reaction....then immediatly offer your hand to him again. If he bites, repeat. If he turns away or (ideally) licks, praise him. Works like a charm ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think some of the problem may be giving the treats - he associates bite......stop biting ......get treats.......lets do that again so I can get a treat! Just like counter surfing, you tell your dog "off" but you should not give him a treat when he gets down because he will associate that that behavior gets him a treat and do it again - use verbal praise. I take my girls to a great trainer - and we just talked about this a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion I will try your ideas. In terms of the treating I only tried it a few times and didn't really work. The reason I tried is because what I was doing before didnt work.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I know this sounds crazy, but when Bruno was a biting puppy, I would pick him up and say softly,"no bite--kiss kiss" and he would stop biting and lick me. I know he couldn't understand, but maybe the tone of voice took him out of play mode. It worked every time.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It is totally normal behavior and in my experience there isn´t much you can do. It will stop when he´s done theething.

Offer him chew toys ( a lot ) and substitute them whenever he bites you then offer the toy. With some dogs bitter lime spray works, with others it doesn´t.

All pups go through this stage. It will pass. Labs are very mouthy in general. Just establish limits whenever he bites too hard (just as mom would do).

Homer is 2 and still is quite mouthy...

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Well, I'll tell you what I did with Frankie (if I haven't told you already!). He caught me totally off guard as a puppy and bit my hand really hard. I screamed at the top of my lungs OW!!!!!!!!!! Scared the poop out of him, I guess. Never bit me again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know the bitey phase will eventually pass but in the mean time I feel scared when he approaches me, actually charges me because it hurts. It is also hard to socialize him with other people, especially children, because I don't want to expose them to his bites. Please don't get me wrong, I love Scout, but I think it is sad that I am afraid of him, well at least afraid of his bites. He is such a cute dog and has a great personality and loves other people so I don't have too much to complain about except this is a big issue for me. I will try to be more patient. I don't remember Rocky being this painfully bitey, but I know it is not fair of me to compare Scout to Rocky, they are completely different dogs in everyway, personality, looks and temperament. I don't see ANY likenesses between the two dogs. I have to just see Scout as a unique dog with his own strengths and weakness.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You are right, you don't want him with kids if he is nipping for whatever reason.

You are afraid of him. I believe that is a big problem. I believe that he can sense that and it will make it harder for you to be in control. Forget whatever term you want to use, dominant, pack leader, whatever. But you are the human, the provider, the protector. YOU have to be in control. Forget this being afraid of him. Use you voice, yelp. scream, yell, whatever it takes, and LOUD. You will get his attention. The substitution of toys is great and you have to do it. Until he gets through this, you can not let him get his mouth on your skin. Pull away, scream, anything and everything that lets him know you don't want him to do that. If you are consistent, and provide him the opportunities, it should only take a few days for the bulk of the issue to be resolved. He is a puppy and he will forget occasionally, but you need to establish yourself and not let him sense that you are afraid.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Hershey's Dad for your comments. I do yelp and loudly and sometimes it just makes him charge more and I also provide a toy if it is handy when he starts to bite me. I believe you are right about being in charge and I probably need to spend more time playing with him so we can practice more on getting him to inhibit his bites. I have been putting him in his kennel when the biting feels out of control to me so that I can protect myself. I'm sure that eventually this too shall pass.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Well, I'll tell you what I did with Frankie (if I haven't told you already!). He caught me totally off guard as a puppy and bit my hand really hard. I screamed at the top of my lungs OW!!!!!!!!!! Scared the poop out of him, I guess. Never bit me again.
This is pretty much what I did with Tal. Barney wasn't quite as bad, but still we went through the sharp puppy stage teeth.

Scout sounds like he is behaving normally. I tried the shriek "OUCH" and it worked fairly well. Plus, try toi be on the lookout and anticipate when you think he will start to bite like that. Give him a shew toy, or better yet the frozen cloth like justine mentioned. I also soaked mine in chicken broth and then froze them.

I felt similar...I would see them and think I am about to get chewed ona again. My arms looked like someone got carried away with a razor.

Hang in there, and be patient with him It does pass!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Actually, in many dogs, it won't "pass", you actually have to teach them what's allowed and what isn't. When I worked at a doggy daycare, I was amazed at the amount of dogs that would mouth me. Yelping/screaming works for some, for others it just gets 'em going.

I highly recommend you enroll in a puppy kindergarden class asap.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Nicole I know I need to get Scout into some kind of training, but unfortunately I have to make a trip to Asia starting on July 11th and won't return until the 23rd, so don't want to start soon and then interrup the training. I will either go to puppy kindergarten or get a personal dog trainer. I would give anything to start now. I so want to be caretaker of Scout. At least he is potty trained now.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I did the yelping and then just walking away and ignoring Buck when he got nippy.
He used to be obsessed with biting my hands. So whenever he tried I'd turn my hand into a fist and push into his mouth. Not violently of course but kinda put some pressure and make him uncomfortable. I mean who'd like a fist in their mouth? When I did this he backed off and eventually got the hint.

Curling his lip over his own teeth worked too.

His nipping mostly escalated when he got excited about something. The best way for me to deal with it was to stop doing whatever it was that was exciting him and ignoring him by turning my back on him.

Now when he gets very excited he runs off to grab a toy to nom on and play instead of nomming on me :) He also knows to control the amount of pressure he uses when I do let him mouth me. He like "gnaw" on my hand sometimes when I give him belly rubs :p

also lastly, what helped a lot with the chewing was having him play with other dogs. Taught him biting control I guess...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Have you tried re-directing towards a game of fetch or something else? that also helps

As HK´s Dad mentioned, don´t be afraid of him because he senses that immediately and you´ll end with a dog that controls you when it should be totally the opposite.

Ignoring him when he bites also can work. Just stand up and cross your arms and ignore him. First he will try to nip your pants or legs but if you just stand and ignore him, he´ll soon look for something else.

Look for some nice chewies for him urgently.

Just remember this is a phase, he´s not being mean or anything, he´s just a pup that knows nothing better. Try to find ways for him to burn that energy differently and...

Despite his cuteness and you wanting to cuddle and pet him, at this age most pups couldn´t care less about cuddling with you except when totally exhausted. He´s like a 5 year old boy that wants to be "independent", play run, be "rough" despite their moms wanting to kiss them and hug them!

Get a pair of tough leather gloves!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Dozer is the same way. Making him bite himself (on the lip) of gently holding his muzzle closed for a few seconds has worked best.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.