Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm pretty new around here and thought I'd ask a quick question. My boyfriend and I have a 9 month old black lab puppy named Rex and he is pretty much awesome! He loves pretty much any person or animal that walks in his path. Last weekend we had a party at our house, which is definitely not a common occurrence at all, maybe once every 3 months. Maybe 12 people over all at once, no music, maybe some video games at times. Poor Rex was scared out of his mind the whole time. I have never seen him not run to greet anyone who comes to our door and all he did all night was cower on my bed. I felt so bad that after checking on him every 15 minutes I just gave up on the party and sat upstairs and read a book beside him the rest of the night. Was it just the commotion? He has been around large groups of people before, why did this upset him? Should I not have people over again or should I try to get him accustomed to it? I felt so bad, I didn't know what else to do but just stay beside him. Any advice would help. I know it's not a huge problem, but I just want to know if there is anything I can do better.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I think I agree if you can pinpoint a noise that scares him try to eliminate or desensitize him to that noise otherwise start out with just one or two people next time if he does ok then add one or two each time.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
They go through a "fear stage" at that age, which might have something to do with it. I'm not sure how you would change that though. Has he been to a socialization class?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I'd be careful about consoling him when he gets like that. He will learn to think that it's okay to behave that way...when it's definitely not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I don't think it would be video games because we play those other times, when there isn't a bunch of people over, and he is just fine. He has been to socialization classes and he's been to big family gatherings and such before too. You guys are probably right that it probably has to do with all of the people being in his domain. I tried to not console him much, I just felt so bad. Thanks for the suggestions! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something that is terribly wrong for a puppy. I'm pretty new at this whole mom thing!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm wondering if there was one particular person he was afraid of.

Once, SU's friend came over. Zoe had never met him. For some reason, she ran and hid behind our coffee table. Now this was very out of character for my highly socially driven nut pup.

We had Rod approach her and give her a treat. She was fine after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.