Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't think I'd like it but since I made my husband see New Moon on Thanksgiving, I thought it would be fair to see one of his picks on Christmas.

I love me some Robert Downey Jr. though, so it was at least worth a try. I really enjoyed the movie and hope they make another one!

Did I mention how good Robert looks in this movie??

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hubby and I are big RDJ fans. I'm a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories - think I've read them all. The movie left us both a bit...disappointed though. It seemed a bit drug out and lacking something... We both usually give movies decent reviews, and it wasn't horrible, but I guess we were just expecting something a bit different?

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Just rented this over the weekend. Huh. It was ok, but just so....over the top. You want to make a series of films about Holmes and you start with this insane plot involving the occult? Ok....I felt that was the focus of the film. How to get from one part of the mystery to the next...none of it felt...organic. It was all so contrived and at such a fast pace. I also felt that the gadgets and gizmos were too far ahead of their time...not realistic to the era and juxtaposed into the story to get more special effects.

And I'm sorry, but the subtext, on purpose or not, made it very obvious that Holmes and Watson are a gay couple. Watson may play for both teams, but clearly Holmes is in love with him.

And I adore Rachel McAdams...but she needs to stick with the romantic parts...she was out of her element as a mysterious hustler who could figure out mysteries on par with Holmes and fire a gun and kick some ass. Not believable.

2 STARS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.