Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sarah and I were talking about Sam and his housebreaking and I thought hey may as well make a post about it. See if anybody has some ideas.

The vet thinks it's moved into more of a behavior problem than anything else at this point because he's almost 15 months old.

He will pee outside. He'll happily hold it until I take him outside. He's cool about that. Once in a while he'll go pee in the house because Shane was too lazy to take him out early in the morning, and Sam will pee a lake in the spare bedroom to which Mom yells at Dad not at Sam for that one! So we have that under control...

Now for pooping! HE WILL NOT POOP OUTSIDE. Absolutely refuses to do so! I'm not exaggerating, we might get him to do so outside once a week on average. He's extremely shy about it. So I put him on a tie out and go back inside and check on him from a window. It's almost humorous the way he goes about it outside. He walks around FOREVER. Then he'll squat and stop and looking around all over the place...then he'll walk a bit, squat, and stop again to look all over the place...then finally some more walking and he'll finally poop. Usually if he has to go and he's outside he whines and cries and howls and barks to come back inside. Even if I ignore him forever he still won't go outside if his mind is made up to not go out there!!

When we close off the extra bedroom that he thinks is his place to go, he'll whine and cry and bark and howl, and find some other place to go..usually another bedroom or the hallway...or if you are adamant about him not leaving your side, he'll go on the other side of the room you're in!! And when you try to rush him outside HE JUST KEEPS GOING!! Also when we're adamant about it, he gets so upset about it he gets diarrhea for a couple of days, and then it's just impossible to help him out.
Also AFTER he goes in the house he prances to the back door and looks at us like "I'm ready to go play outside now!" Arrggh!!

We have tried the bell on the doors, I've tried keeping him on a schedule, I've locked up all the doors. I've given him MASSIVE treats while he's GOING potty outside. I even as a last resort put down puppy training pads...I kid you not...HE POOPED a SEMI CIRCLE AROUND THE PAD...not ON it AROUND IT! I've tried taking him on walks...I've tried knowing he has to go and playing with him outside to get stuff moving along, then heading inside so he wouldn't be embarressed to go...no good he'll hold it! We'll take him outside for an hour and HE STILL WON'T POOP OUT THERE.

The vet said she had no idea how to help us with this. A behaviorist suggested clicker taining him....which is a good idea, but I have to get him to poop outside to reward him, and he KNOWS he's suppose to do it out there oh he KNOWS he just doesn't WANT TO!! I reward him massively when he does it outside, I reward him massively when he pees outside so HE KNOWS! He's just a bullheaded poop head!

So now everyone can laugh cause it's not their Lab then help me think of something new to try with him. :D

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
First you need to grow another pair of eyes in the back of your head. Next, get some super fast reflexes so you can jump up & get him out the door THE VERY SECOND he gets up. If you're quick enough, it MIGHT stop him going inside & eventually train his mind that standing up on his feet whether it be from being asleep or playing means it's time to go OUTSIDE to the toilet. That's how I've always trained mine anyway as well as putting them out straight after a drink & feeding.

Where do you think he's placed in the pack hierarchy in the house? Sounds to me as if he's bottom dog out of them all & acting accordingly. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First you need to grow another pair of eyes in the back of your head. Next, get some super fast reflexes so you can jump up & get him out the door THE VERY SECOND he gets up. If you're quick enough, it MIGHT stop him going inside & eventually train his mind that standing up on his feet whether it be from being asleep or playing means it's time to go OUTSIDE to the toilet. That's how I've always trained mine anyway as well as putting them out straight after a drink & feeding.

Where do you think he's placed in the pack hierarchy in the house? Sounds to me as if he's bottom dog out of them all & acting accordingly. :rolleyes:
I already have one set in the back of my head for being a mum....I need ANOTHER ONE?!?!

I always take him out after feeding, they always have water available to them.

He's at the bottom of the hierachy...unless you count Shane...he's at the BOTTOM BOTTOM. The dogs won't listen to him for anything, but then he squeals everytime they jump on him or lick them...so it's his own dern fault for being down there. LOL

The bottom dog Poops somewhre else?!?! Funny enough after I typed this and took him out, I peered out the back door to see him squatting out there!! He got lots of praise and treats. He knows when he does it he's done good cause he starts prancing around outside and runs to the back door immediately like "Hey mom I did it!!"

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Is he crate trained? I'd suggest treating him as you would treat a new puppy. Take him out frequently on lead, don't let him play and if he doesn't do his business in about 5-10 minutes take him in and put him in the crate. Try again in 1/2 hour or so. When he DOES poop outside praise him using the go potty command of your choice, treat him (if you want) and let him play.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
It sounds like he's picked that bedroom to be his place. Since he's the bottom dog, maybe he doesn't want to go where the other dogs go? Can he have his own place outside away from theirs? This sounds gross, but when you clean up his poop inside, put it outside where you want him to go and take him to that place to poop. Maybe it's the hierarchy thing. I don't know, but good luck!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
If he was mine, and he is lucky he isn't. Grrrrrr.

(1) Any place that he has gone inside has to be cleaned thoroughly, Nature's Miracle or whatever else you choose to use.
(2) After every feeding outside he goes. Toss a ball, bumper, or stick. Something to get him to run a little. Tends to stimulate poop if there is anything inside to poop.
(3) Get yourself a notebook, keep track of every time he is fed, every time he poops. Try to find a pattern in timing. Time of day or time after meal. Get him outside at the right times and be prepared to spend 15, 30, 45 minutes out there with him until he poops.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I agree with HK's dad about exercise. Bauer is 16 months old, and goes twice a day. Every morning (before our walk) we go out and toss the frisbee or ball around, and he goes after the first couple of fetches. At about 5 or 5:30pm we do the same thing. Maybe Sam feels too much stress and tension around pooping. If there is always someone hovering, waiting, etc. he might just feel too much stress about it . . . and not even know why. If you relax a little, it might help. He sounds like a little kid that knows he is supposed to go in the potty, but hides behind the furniture to go in his pants instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts