Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to a friend the other day and I was commenting on how Sam doesn't look like an adult lab although he's past his 1st birthday. I say he just looks like a puppy still like he hasn't grown into his ears or something. Then we got to talking about how he has a much thinner face than is lab normal.

He asked me if was mixed with anything and I said that the rescue we got him from had classified him as a Lab mix because he had a bit of white on his chest/neck and an itty bitty bit between a toe. We all know that black labs can get some white on them. I mentioned that to the vet at his first puppy checkup and she replied "If he's anything other than lab it sure isn't showing through!"

Well we kept looking at pictures of Sam and my friend says "You know I wonder if he doesn't have some greyhound in him somewhere." Hmm...

So I keep thinking and keep looking and then I remembered a friend in the UK had sent me a picture of his Weimaraner and I had commented when I saw the pic "Well that looks like a skinny lab!" Of course I can't find the picture now that I'm trying too, so I googled images the breed and found this picture.

So I run outside with Sam and try to get him in a similar pose...

And this one I had to throw in just because he looks hilarious in it!

So what do you guys think? Could he have some in there? Possibly his Mum or Dad is a Weimaraner? I noticed the white spots in the same place on his as in the breed.

Just a curiousity I've had since he didn't grow into a labby face.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Some field bred labs are pretty tall and skinny. He looks all lab to me! Jackson had a head that looked like a puppy until this year when he turned 3. It was amazing comments went from "Cute Puppy" to "Beautiful Dog" in just a matter of a couple of months.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Is he a bit brindle in his colour? or is that skin lol! His tail looks thinner too but other than that I would say field bred lab

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I'd say Sam is a purebred lab. Not a well-bred lab, but definately purebred. I don't see Weim at all. At first I thought that first photo WAS him.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Its not the best pic of HK to show the similarity, but she is all Lab. Field bred and on the slim side. I think you have a purebred, but just don't have the papers to prove it. Also don't think it matters much, will it change the way you feel about him? I doubt it.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Sam is built much the way our Champ is. Champ is tall and leggy, with a long nose and narrow head, but he's AKC registered Lab. I think Sam is all Lab.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Also don't think it matters much, will it change the way you feel about him? I doubt it.
OH of course not!! We love him! It was just out of curiosity. Happy's half lab and half golden and I couldn't love him more. :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is he a bit brindle in his colour? or is that skin lol! His tail looks thinner too but other than that I would say field bred lab
That's skin! He's still trying to get that beautiful black coat back from his skin problems we've been dealing with.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's so appropriate!!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Sam looks like my Cinnamon whose mom is a field lab and dad was the biggest bench I have ever seen that was not over weight. Her dad had a chest as wide as a truck. Her breeder specialized in hunting dogs not show dogs. She is registered AKC so as much as that means she is "pure bred".

Cinnamon is 71 pounds and about 4 inches taller than all her bench buddies. She is tall and long skinny tail like Sam.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone! I guess I'm just a nutter! lol!!

He's currently at 62lbs and the vet said she didn't look for him to gain more than a few more. :)

Like I said he was from a rescue and they had him listed as a 'mix' so it piqued my curiosity that he still had this 'puppy' look to him. Lucky is long and leggy too, but she still has a much...broader (is that the word I'm looking for?) face and neck to her.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks a lot like Gus (3/4 field, 1/4 bench). He's still tall and slender at 22 months. When we got him at 8 weeks he had a white spot on his chest, which now amounts to about 3 hairs. Also a couple errant white hairs on one foot and on his face. No doubt he's a lab tho'

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Puff has a build very much like Azlab's Cinnamon.

Puff is AKC registered and comes from a long line of Hunt test/Field line Labs. Compared to the bench line Labs, these have less blocky heads, longer muzzles, leaner, lankier bodies, longer legs, and thinner tails that are sickle shaped. (And often less thick hair.)

So I think your Sam could very well be a pure Lab.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again everyone! I know Happy is big for a lab being overweight at 99lbs, he needs to get back down to 86lbs which we are working at! Lazy hound he is! He's half golden though as well.

Lucky is at 72lbs and I still think she needs to put some on after she recovers because she looked gorgeous at 82lbs, it's never been fat on her, she's such an active dog that she just puts on muscle and now at 72 I think she just looks skinny and not quite as healthy.

Sam's at only 62lbs so I keep saying he's a runt, but I know my other two are just a bit bigger for the breed. lol. Oddly enough his paws are bigger than Lucky's!!

Lucky also came from a breeder, albeit a bad one and we never were able to get the paper work for her. :( I hadn't joined JL yet so I hadn't a clue about breeders and the such, or I would have avoided him all together...but then we wouldn't have her, so I guess I'm glad I hadn't joined JL yet!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts