Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup....He just got a smoking job offer today from a used carlot a little outside of town (St. Charles). He accepted the offer and starts work tommorow morning. The place was so anxious to have Sam work for them that they said, "how about instead of us calling you, why don't you call us and tell us if you want the job"

We are so excited that he finally has employment. It took a week for him to find a job since we moved back to St. Louis (not too bad). His old job gave him 20% commission on car sales, and this place pays 30% commission on all car sales plus montly bonuses. At the old car lot (back in AZ) that Sam worked at, he was only selling 7 cars a month. This lot says that the average salesman sells over 12 cars a month (it makes sense, St. Louis is MUCH larger then Flagstaff...more people equals more sales). Things are lookin good.

Once Sam makes enough money at this job and gets paid, he will be moving into an apartment. The animals will have to put up with one more move, but then they will be settled in their new home. I won't be moving in with Sam until the end of the summer.

Tommorow I am FINALLY going to go get my drivers liscense. I can finally afford insurance now! (last time I checked it was $225 per month, now its $42 a month). So wish me luck on my test. Once I get my liscense, I can start applying at local vet clinics and groomers. My mom will let me borrow her car during the day while she is at work (until I can make enough money at my job to buy my own car) so I am very grateful to her.

We are finally getting settled in St. Louis. I can't wait to get all the animals under one roof again.

Well thats about it....toodles.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Great news about Sam getting a job so quickly.

Tommorow I am FINALLY going to go get my drivers liscense. I can finally afford insurance now! (last time I checked it was $225 per month, now its $42 a month). So wish me luck on my test. Once I get my liscense, I can start applying at local vet clinics and groomers.
Have you had driving lessons? I agree that once you can drive there are so many more opportunities for work.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
how do you know it's gone from $225/month to $45/month before even having a license?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kelli said:
how do you know it's gone from $225/month to $45/month before even having a license?
My mother's coworker's husband gave us a quote (he runs a state farm insurance company)

And yes, Rosie, I have actually been driving for 3 years (on a driver's permit....I don't know how it is in the UK, but here if you have your permit, you are allowed to drive, but ONLY with a liscensed driver above 21 (I think). So I am more then confident that I'll pass the test....I hope lol.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Insurance varies greatly by state and now that she's over 21 that helps a lot. If she can get on her parents policy yet where they have a multi-policy discount that helps a lot too. Good luck with everything I hope Sam likes his new job and can get an apartment soon.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Nice. It'd be a cold day in hell when a car insurance company charged someone only $42 a month here, forget a newly licensed driver.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bacatherine said:
Insurance varies greatly by state and now that she's over 21 that helps a lot. If she can get on her parents policy yet where they have a multi-policy discount that helps a lot too. Good luck with everything I hope Sam likes his new job and can get an apartment soon.
Not over 21 juuuussttt yet (I'm almost 19)....thats why I was SHOCKED that it went down so much! Now keep in mind that this is the cost of insuraning me on mother's car. I'm sure the price WILL go up when I get my own car. But still...I was VERY pleased with the decrease in cost.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
And yes, Rosie, I have actually been driving for 3 years (on a driver's permit....I don't know how it is in the UK, but here if you have your permit, you are allowed to drive, but ONLY with a liscensed driver above 21 (I think). So I am more then confident that I'll pass the test....I hope lol.
In Missouri that permit is ONLY good if you are driving with a parent or guardian and they will ask that person to vouch for you that you have had so many hours of driving time. I am paying much more the $42 a month for my 17 year old son and (was paying for ) my daughter who was 21 at the time.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IzzyLucyWillie said:
In Missouri that permit is ONLY good if you are driving with a parent or guardian and they will ask that person to vouch for you that you have had so many hours of driving time. I am paying much more the $42 a month for my 17 year old son and (was paying for ) my daughter who was 21 at the time.
Actually, if you are over a certain age, then you don't need the 'rents, just a liscensed driver over 21. When I had my first permit, yes, I needed to be with my parents, but when I renewed my permit that was when I was allowed to drive with someone other then my parents. My boyfriend is over 21 so I was allowed to drive with him, which was nice. This information was listed in the permit handbook.

As for the insurance, I don't know why its so low, I guess its because the insurance is on my mom's car and not my own car, who knows. I also have a good student discount and another discount I think AND this is the lowest insurance you can get. Like it will cover all the damages to the other car, but only a few of the damages to mine. Make sense?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
on a driver's permit....I don't know how it is in the UK, but here if you have your permit, you are allowed to drive, but ONLY with a liscensed driver above 21 (I think). So I am more then confident that I'll pass the test....I hope lol.
Same in this country.

I am sure if you have been driving for 3 years you will have no problem passing your test. Although you might want to consider a 'refresher' lesson with a driving instructor to test you on your maneuvers. Things like reverse parking can be tricky...I avoid reverse parking now but I had to do it for my test.

Do most people in the US drive automatics?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
kelli said:
Nice. It'd be a cold day in hell when a car insurance company charged someone only $42 a month here, forget a newly licensed driver.
$42 seems a touch off for me. I can't believe it's that low actually. Maybe it's for a mo-ped???

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Your mom is giving you a discount because there isn't a State Farm on this planet that would quote $42 a month. Nope... I have state farm am 32 and never had a ticket and I still pay $134 a month on two cars. I don't even want to tell you what i was paying at 19 yrs old. My mom was so happy when I took over my insurance.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
If you are not a dependent of your mother (which I know you aren't), and you are just borrowing her car, you may be covered under her insurance without actually needing to be added (or paying for it). You should be covered automatically as a guest borrowing her car temporarily.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts