Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 4yr old blk lab has lameness in her back left leg. Sometimes she is fine and sometimes she limps, we have been to our vet, cut down all running and now limit her to short walks only. She injured herself several months back while just being a lab playing around. The vet says that she probably has slighty torn a ligament and that they do not want to operate until it totally tears. We have been doing some research on wild salmon oil as well as traumeel. Presently we give her 2000mg of tri-acta MSN a day.

Her weight is appro 73lbs which we all believe is perfect for her frame.

Question... We purchased 1000mg wild salmon oil soft gels and would like to know if anyone has seen results in lameness, coat etc etc and how much should we give her based on weight/age.

Traumeel tablets are the size of aspirin as there is no size on the bottle. They say to dissolve in water.... again how many shall i give her?

thanks for all the help as we don't like seeing our baby limping...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You are probably fine giving a fish oil capsule each meal. We give 1000mg per meal to all of our dogs...just plain fish oil. Did it more for the coat, which it seems to help.

Never heard of Traumeel though. My boy hurt his leg last year and ended up requiring TPLO and then tore the other leg and needed TPLO too.

I really don't know what supplements will help a ligament.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are probably looking at TPLO surgery in the not so distant future. Would you mind letting us know of your experience. We don't know whether to operate now or wait for the complete tear. Also they have warned us of a very long rehabilitation period so we are trying to hold off as long as we can because sometimes she still acts like a puppy and we worry about a set back if we are unable to keep her "calm". How long after the surgery before your boy was back to "normal"? Any insight, we would greatly appreciate as we want to make the best decision with the information we are able to gather.

As for Traumeel, we have been suggested this by many. It is a homeopathic remedy that assists humans with sports related injuries and inflammations. The vet had her on Metcam and she was so sick, she has a sensitive stomach and was throwing up all the time so we have decided to stop and try some other avenues at this time.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The longer you wait the more arthritis will set in. If the dr is sure its torn, even partially - you may want to go ahead and get the surgey done.

granted - waiting an extra 2 weeks will not make that much a difference, but 3 months may.

Also, I live in the NE and had to deal with a huge snow storm when my last dog got it done. Doing it in the fall is also worth something...

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have had 2 different dogs that have had cruciate surgery, both of them were the traditional type. Yes, it is true that the longer you wait the greater chance that there will be arthritis (chances are that you will have arthritis anyway soner or later). TPLO's scare me but I know that several people here have had great success with them. This is what I have found seems to work with my dogs for arthritis:
Vitamin C 300 mg (in the form of calcium ascorbate) Note from Wendy Volhard's book The Holistic Guide to a Healthy Dog: "A lack of vitamin C in the diet commonly results in urinary tract infections, cystitis and limping in the front or rear legs."
4-5 alfalfa tablets (work up to this slowly)
Vitamin E, 100 IU (use natural NOT synthetic, I believe that it will say on the bottle natural d-Alpha). This will help prevent scar tissue.

As for the salmon oil my vet told me that it can help with arthritis but he recommended Welactin, which is something he sells. I have also seen it in some of the dog supply catalogs. The reason he recommends that is he said that the omega 3's are higher than regular salmon oils.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts