Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for safe meds for more continuous use with older labs who have arthritis? Skippy is going to be 9 soon, and is having more and more trouble getting up and down, and getting sore after running and playing. I already give him Co-sequin, and have for years, after his multiple joint surgeries. I know that a lot of the meds they give dogs for pain can be harmful to their livers and kidneys and would like to know if people have other suggestions.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Pat, I give both Magnum and Ruger Rimadyl as needed. Work with your vet. This drug has been around for ages, and as long as you keep up with your vet on checking the liver (pull blood work periodically) and, if for any reason your dog seems ill STOP giving it and see the vet, this drug is a God-send.

My old dog, Shadow, was horribly crippled with arthritis and we used Rimadyl daily for almost three years with no ill effects and a MUCH improved quality of life.

There are other meds out there, but I still prefer Rimadyl because I've used it, know that it works, and it's less expensive.

Please discuss options with your vet. My feelings are that QUALITY of life beats quantity every time.

Hugs and Scritches to Skippy :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Oh, just wanted to add, we give glucosamine/chondrotin to all the dogs. I get the Kirkland brand of pills, they get 2 a day.

Also, as your vet about adequan injections. I've done this with Magnum, but honestly didn't see all that much improvement and they are expensive, so I stopped with them. May use them again later in her life if need be.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello - My old girl Bessie (will be 15 in July) is on Deramax, along with Cosequin and LOTS of salmon oil. She's very arthritic, but right now is enjoying many more good days than bad. We're hoping for another wonderful summer with with our sweet but stubborn yellow lady.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
You could try Adequan injections. Those did wonders for my Mom's dog.

I agree with what others said about Rimadyl. It's true that a disproportionate amount of labs suffer problems with the drug, but now that we know that it's easy to monitor for signs of anything amiss.

I would also seriously consider accupuncture +/- massage. That would actually be the first thing I would try, personally.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll see what I can come up with for the Skip-miester.He's such a sweetie pie!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
We used Rimadyl with our Basset Hounds and it was great. No side effects at all and make them feel so much better.

When we had to have our male put down (our last Basset), we had almost a whole bottle of it left. So we take some to each dock diving event and practice now, just in case one of our dogs hurt themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We recently switch all of our dogs to Cosequin Equine Optimized with MSM. The Newfs each get 1/4 teaspoon twice a day and the elderly Golden gets a tad over 1/8 teaspoon twice a day.

So far they are all doing well and the 4lb container I got will last a VERY long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts