Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess today was my day to find the lab who'd been hit by a car. :'(

We live off of a very busy 2-lane road. Driving to work this morning, in a turn lane for a subdivision, there lies a chocolate lab with a collar on. Obviously already gone. I drove by and thought there was no way I could pull over and do anything - I didn't have a towel, blanket, or anything, and I'd be risking my life stopping in the middle of this road. Guilt got to me about 1/4 of a mile further and I made a u-turn, called a vet's office right up the road - by this time I'm bawling. They offered towels and a garbage bag.

So...I get back to the poor pup and decide to park my car in the turn lane with the flashers on - less chance of ME getting hit. I checked the tag and called the phone number on it....her name was Cinnamon. :-\ Nobody answered so I left a very generic "please call me" message, stressed that it was important, but that I didn't want to leave details. What if one of the kids was standing by the answering machine? Ugh.

About that time this big truck pulls up into the entrance to the subdivision. He's looking at me, so I pull over, and sure enough, he was Cinnamon's owner. I explained that I didn't hit her, but that I couldn't just drive by and leave her there. He appreciated that I was kind enough to stop, and the conversation went downhill from there. He asked if I'd called in the middle of the night, that someone had called and hung up when the machine came on. I'm guessing it was the person who hit her. What if she was still alive at that time? What if something could have been done for her then!?

It seems that Cinnamon was put out in the yard when they brought their newborn baby home a few weeks ago. "She keeps digging out - that's why I put that shock collar on her." AAHHH! He pointed to his house which had a picket fence, maybe 3' high. His yard backed up to this major road. I just don't get it. ::)

RIP sweet chocolate girl. I'll hug my chocolate boy extra tight tonight in your memory. :'(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
People SUCK.

RIP Cinnamon. :'(

B

·
0 Posts
Good god. What a jackass for doing that. Just because they had a new baby she gets shuffled out to the yard and left? People suck!

I'm sorry you had to take on that task but God bless you for doing it. There is no greater gift than to take care of someone who is gone and needs to be taken care of. I'm in tears just thinking about that poor girl.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Bless you ...as for the guy I hope he does NOT get another dog until he is better educated. I am sure his family is sad too though. :-\

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
:'( RIP Cinnamon.

I'm sorry you had to do the Brooke, having been there a few weeks ago I know the exact feeling and it's horrible. ((((((((hugs))))))))

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Oh thats awful I can only imagine how you must have felt. RIP Cinnamon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts