1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.wfsb.com/news/11453742/detail.html
Dog That Fought Rabid Raccoon Put To Sleep
Pet Owner Mourns Beloved Dog Of 12 Years
MILFORD, Conn. -- A dog who saved a Milford woman from a rabid raccoon had to be put to sleep.

Max, a Doberman pinscher, was Terri Hunnicut's beloved pet for the past 12 years until a rabid raccoon invaded their Milford yard looking for the dog. Hunnicut told Eyewitness News the raccoon entered the house through the doggy door.

"Max and a raccoon, they were just fighting. We couldn't get them apart; We couldn't get her away, we couldn't get the raccoon away," Hunnicut said.

After the fight, Max was badly injured.

"The only two options in that case are euthanasia, which most people, of course, don't want to euthanize the family pet; or quarantine them (on) the property," said Patricia Liptak, of Milford Animal Control.

Hunnicut said quarantining Max on her property would have cost more than $4,500, with still no guarantees of her survival.

"I didn't think it would end up the way it did. Unfortunately, had she had her shots, this would not have happened," Hunnicut said.

Milford Animal Control officials said this is the season rabid raccoons hide under porches, in storm drains and near garbage, looking to scrounge up their next meal -- but usually not in broad daylight.

"Just because they look really scroungy doesn't mean they're rabid, and sometimes, they look perfectly healthy," Liptak said. "If you see one out here in the daylight walking across your yard, kind of funky looking, you know there's something wrong with it."

"She would've just gotten a booster shot. She would have been fine, she would have been here now. I would have had a dog," Hunnicut said. Animal officials recommend pet owners secure garbage cans using a bungee cord to ward off wild animals. They said that if you see a raccoon, skunk or any animal that you think may have rabies, call the police.
So sad that a dog who defended its family had to be put down.

·
Registered
479 Posts
People need to be vigilant when it comes to boostering the Rabies vaccine. There is NO wiggle room when a pet has come in contact with a rabid animal.

And here in Arizona, if your pet comes in contact with a wild animal, sustains any type of wound (to include a minor scratch) and the rabies vaccine is not current, you must either quarantine the pet for 90 days or euthanize. Period. They will not take the chance that the chance that the wild animal MAY not be rabid (this is in cases where the animal is not captured).

This, unfortunately, happens weekly at the clinic I work at. We have lots of coyotes, javalinas, bobcats, etc. that live within our city limits. Cats are a favorite food for the coyotes. They are plentiful and there are always stupid owners who allow their cats outside.

I feel very bad for the dog. She was trying to protect her family. So sad.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Ohhh poor dog. Too bad the owner didn't keep her shots current. (shakes head) Sometimes I just don't understand people. :(

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dogmom said:
People need to be vigilant when it comes to boostering the Rabies vaccine. There is NO wiggle room when a pet has come in contact with a rabid animal.

And here in Arizona, if your pet comes in contact with a wild animal, sustains any type of wound (to include a minor scratch) and the rabies vaccine is not current, you must either quarantine the pet for 90 days or euthanize. Period. They will not take the chance that the chance that the wild animal MAY not be rabid (this is in cases where the animal is not captured).

This, unfortunately, happens weekly at the clinic I work at. We have lots of coyotes, javalinas, bobcats, etc. that live within our city limits. Cats are a favorite food for the coyotes. They are plentiful and there are always stupid owners who allow their cats outside.

I feel very bad for the dog. She was trying to protect her family. So sad.
Same thing here in VA, I believe. When I was discussing vaccines with the vet it was one she said to never, ever let go past the due date ... and for the very reason you listed.

To DFW -- puppies get an initial shot (timing requirement differs by state); then a booster one year later. That booster is good for 3 years. At least that is how it is in here. Don't know if this is different by state or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts