Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that running is the most efficient and easiest exercise (I can do it anywhere, anytime, with almost no equipment), but I hate it! I have never liked it, even when I was running 40+ mpw and racing frequently. The only way I've ever been able to do it regularly was with a club.

I heard a great line: "Why is it that an hour of basketball feels like 10 minutes, while 10 minutes of running feels like a weekend in traffic school?"

What do you enjoy doing for cardio?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I bike,ice skate ,roller blade and stairmaster :p. My leg is held together with screws and metal rods so I can't do the steady pounding of running. I still downhill ski and play a little hockey(shhh..don't tell my ortho Dr.)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I run ... but with a toddler in a jogging stroller which, oddly, I find more comfortable?!

It's definitely different ... stroller + child means that I am pushing about 50 extra pounds while I run, which is really hard on hills ... BUT I can also lean on the stroller which helps a lot when the legs get tired.

And when I go too slow my son yells "Go, go, go" ... nothing like having a portable cheering section. :-\

D

·
0 Posts
TheBigRaloo said:
I run ... but with a toddler in a jogging stroller which, oddly, I find more comfortable?!

It's definitely different ... stroller + child means that I am pushing about 50 extra pounds while I run, which is really hard on hills ... BUT I can also lean on the stroller which helps a lot when the legs get tired.

And when I go too slow my son yells "Go, go, go" ... nothing like having a portable cheering section. :-\
That does sound like fun. I plan on doing that when I have my kid, of course the dog will be in front towing both of us.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
deific said:
TheBigRaloo said:

That does sound like fun. I plan on doing that when I have my kid, of course the dog will be in front towing both of us.
There have been many times, jogging uphill, that I have dreamed of "hitching up the team" ... but with my luck Ivy would go left, and Raleigh would go right. ;D :p

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Mostly stationary bike here, but I just got my "real" bike out of storage, so I'll be doing that once I get it cleaned up and in shape. Maggie and I also do the two-mile loop of our neighborhood and, as much as I hate it, I add short stretches of running to the walk. Maggie thinks I'm nuts.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I run and do bike every morning. Well, I should say I slow jog. ;)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
LOL, a weekend at traffic school. It's so true though. I'd rather shove hot pokers in my eyes then run. Of course, having crappy knees gets me out of that too. However, I used the crappy knee excuse to just not exercise period the last few years, and since switching jobs, I lost all exercise I was getting in the kitchens.

I've been ice skating of late, and totally loving it, and intend to get my bike out once the weather is nicer. Rollerblades too. I also try to use the eliptical 2 or 3 days a week. I've relearned how important cardio is to keeping the weight off, or maintaining, period.

So, do you torture yourself running Nathan, or what are you doing for cardio these days?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TangerineFizz said:
So, do you torture yourself running Nathan, or what are you doing for cardio these days?
I was doing NO cardio, and generally being an overindulgent fatass. I'm back on the wagon, though. I'm mixing up running, biking, and hiking. I'm going to start taking Theo up into the hills 2-3 times/wk for hard, hilly hikes.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I used to be a runner; did around 3 miles a day. I used to be a lot of things!! ;)

I'm getting a treadmill for my b'day. Other than an occasional walk with the dogs; I don't get much cardio. Hey, I did notice they have a cardio video out through Dancing with the Stars. I would probably get a cardio workout laughing at myself!! LOL

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I have an elliptical. I hate it like the devil, so I've gotten to where I hardly use it.

I walk. No running, just walking. Usually around 30-40 minutes at a time, twice a day on good days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts